This classic Christmas Shortbread recipe takes no time at all to make, requires just FIVE simple ingredients and really is the BEST Shortbread you will ever make! This easy recipe takes less than half an hour to make and bake and you can be as creative as you like when it comes to the shapes you use to make your Shortbread.
Is there anything better than shortbread at Christmas time? This is the only time of the year I ever make this and i just LOVE the stuff!
Why you will love this recipe:
- Easy to make – you can make and bake this Christmas Shortbread in less than 30 minutes.
- FIVE ingredients – you won’t need any fancy ingredients for this recipe!
- Perfect homemade gift – simply place into a clear cello bag to gift to family and friends.
- Make ahead – this Shortbread can be stored for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
Please note you will find the full ingredient list and method in the recipe card below.
- Plain flour – also know as all purpose flour. You will also need a little extra to dust your bench.
- Butter – it is important to have the butter at room temperature for this recipe.
- Rice Flour – this helps to give your shortbread its ‘shortness’
- Vanilla Extract – you can also use vanilla extract for this recipe.
- Caster Sugar – also known as superfine sugar.
How to make Christmas Shortbread:
- Combine the butter, caster sugar and rice flour until pale and creamy
2. Add the vanilla extract and flour and combine.
3. Turn the mixture onto your bench and bring together before lightly kneading.
4. Cut out the Shortbread shapes and bake!
Expert Tips for Making Christmas Shortbread:
Watch how to Make This Shortbread Recipe Below:
Looking for more Christmas Baking Recipes?
- Easy Caramel Fudge Recipe
- White Christmas Slice | A Melt and Mix Recipe
- No Bake Chocolate Christmas Slice
- Vanilla Christmas Cupcakes
- 4 Ingredient Christmas Fudge
- Easy Christmas Cake Recipe
- Almond Shortbread
- The BEST Christmas Cut Out Biscuit Recipe
- Steamed Christmas Pudding
- Easy Pavlova Recipe
- Rocky Road Christmas Pudding
- Trifle Recipe | Easy No Bake Dessert
Wanting to make this recipe in a Thermomix? You can find Thermomix instructions here.
Christmas Shortbread Recipe
- 2 x baking trays
- Biscuit cutters
- 250 grams butter softened
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 25 grams rice flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 375 grams plain flour
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees and line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter, sugar and rice flour until they turn white. Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Gradually add the flour to the mixture, whilst continuing to mix on a low speed until a paste forms.
- Turn mixture onto a cool bench dusted with flour and work until a smooth ball forms. I split my ball into two and place one in the fridge, covered in glad wrap.
- Roll the other ball until apron 1cm thick and use cookie cutter to make desired shapes.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10 -12 minutes until edges start to turn a golden brown.
- Before starting this recipe, it’s important that your butter is soft as it will take longer to combine with the sugar and rice flour if firm.
- If making this recipe in a warm climate, you may need to place the dough into the fridge to chill, as the butter it contains will begin to melt quite quickly
- For best results, I like to roll out half of the dough at a time (the other half I put in the fridge) and I roll it onto a piece of baking paper.
- To transfer to your baking tray, I suggest using a metal egg flip as it has a ‘crisper’ edge to help keep the sides of your shortbread nice and clean.
- This cooking time for this recipe is based on using an 8 cm wide cutter, if you are using a different shape/sized cutter, your baking time will vary.
- To store, place in an airtight container in your pantry and enjoy within 10 days.
- The cooked biscuits are also freezer friendly.
You can find even more Christmas Recipes in our books and eBooks – shop the range here.