This Cranberry and Brie Puff Pastry Star is the ultimate starter for your next special occasion! In less than 40 minutes you will be able to prepare and bake this flavour packed treat, which is guaranteed to be a hit with your family and friends!
This simple starter dish is just perfect for your next Christmas or end of year function. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and can be made a couple of hours before it is needed, easing some of the pressure if you are entertaining.
I like to serve this as an appetiser or starter, however it is also perfect as a side dish.
Please note you will find a full list of ingredients plus the recipe method in the recipe card below.
To make this Cranberry and Brie Puff Pastry Star, you will need just a few simple ingredients: Cranberry Sauce, a 200 gram wheel of Brie Cheese, Puff Pastry, Bacon and an egg to brush the pastry with (optional). You can use a larger wheel of Brie, however I find the 200 gram wheel is enough. If you or your guests are vegetarian you can simply omit the bacon pieces. Additionally, you can omit the egg if you would prefer to keep this recipe egg free.
Step 1. Cover a sheet of partially thawed puff pastry with cranberry sauce.
Step 2. Sprinkle with bacon pieces.
Step 3. Cover with the second piece of puff pastry and place the Brie in the middle.
Step 4. Carefully cut the pastry into strips.
Step 5. Gently roll two of the pastry strips and press down on the ends to secure to each other. Repeat.
Step 6. Lightly coat with a beaten egg (optional) before placing into the oven to bake until the pastry is golden.
Recipe Hints and Tips
Place the sheet of puff pastry onto your baking tray before adding the other ingredients, it will be difficult to move once you have started preparing the recipe.
For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon.
The egg wash is optional, it does help to turn the pastry a lovely golden colour.
You can also choose to not twist the puff pastry strip and leave as is to make a pull apart style dish.
For a crispy base, place the Cranberry and Brie Puff Pastry directly onto a greased baking tray. The pastry may go a little soggy on the bottom if placed onto a sheet of baking paper.
This recipe is best enjoyed immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
It may be overcooked, it is important to keep a close on on the brie while baking.
Yes, for best results leave the rind on the wheel of brie cheese while baking.
You may also enjoy these recipes:
- Sweet Potato Fritters
- Bacon and Cheese Cob Loaf
- Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Mini Spinach Quiches
- Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels
- Pizza Muffins
Looking for even more?
You can find delicious and easy recipes in our books and eBooks, shop the range here.
Cranberry and Brie Puff Pastry Star
- 1 x Baking Tray
- 100 grams Cranberry Sauce
- 100 grams Bacon chopped into pieces
- 200 grams Brie
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg optional
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced) and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Place a sheet of partially thawed puff pastry onto greased baking tray.
- Cover with cranberry sauce and sprinkle with bacon pieces.
- Place the second sheet of partially thawed puff pastry over the top.
- Place the brie into the centre of the puff pastry and carefully cut strips around the cheese.
- Gently twist two strands of the puff pastry and pinch the bottom of the pieces together to secure. Repeat.
- Lightly brush with egg (if using) and place into the oven to bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately.