These crisp and flaky Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels are one of my all time favourite savoury treats, after all, who can resist the combination of bacon, cheese and pastry?!
These Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels really are the perfect party food, snack or even lunchbox treat. They are also freezer friendly which means you can always have a few stashed in the freezer for when friends drop by or you are just craving something yummy!
What makes these Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels extra special is using three types of cheese, however don’t worry if you don’t have them all, as long as you use either tasty or mozzarella cheese they will be fine! The best way to cut your pinwheels is to pop the rolled up pastry into the fridge for around 15 minutes to let it firm up (particularly important if you live somewhere warm like me!) as this makes it soooo much easier to cut your pinwheels and stops them from getting squashed. Don’t worry if yours a little out of shape, you can easily shape them before popping into the oven.
This recipe will give you 16 pinwheels, however if you are catering for a crowd, you can easily double this recipe or you can even halve it if they are just for you and your family!
Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels
- 2 sheets of puff pastry - partially thawed
- 4 slices of shortcut bacon
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (fan forced) and line two trays with baking paper.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and set aside until needed.
- Place the two sheets of puff pastry which have partially thawed, onto your kitchen bench and brush the top and bottom edges lightly with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle half of the bacon pieces over each sheet of pastry, leaving a 1cm border around all of the edges. Sprinkle all of the tasty cheese and parmesan cheese over the bacon pieces along with half of the mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup sprinkled over each pastry sheet.
- Carefully roll up the pastry, starting at the bottom with the edge brushed with egg, and roll to enclose the filling. Repeat.
- Place both of the rolled up sheets of pastry into the fridge for 15 minutes to firm.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut each roll into 8 equal pieces. Place each pinwheel onto your prepared baking trays.
- Brush a little of the beaten eggs over each pinwheel and sprinkle the with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Place the Bacon and Cheese Pinwheels into the oven to cook for 12 - 15 minutes or until they are puffed and golden.
If you love the combination of bacon and cheese as much as I do, make sure you check out my Bacon and Cheese Cobb Loaf recipe too!