Half the fun of Christmas for me is all the yummy baking I get to do in the lead up to the big day. As well as making traditional favourites, such as fruitcakes and shortbread, I also love to make rum balls. My little helper loves this recipe, and surprise surprise his favourite part is helping crush the biscuits, closely followed by stirring all the ingredients together. He isn’t a huge fan of covering the balls in coconut, as he can be a bit precious when it comes to getting his hands dirty – this is the same toddler who will happily use both of his hands to dig through dirt.
This is a great recipe to make with kids, and is an even better christmas gift – that is if you don’t have your toddler climbing the fridge shelves to eat them….. Enjoy!
Christmas baking - Rum balls
- 250 g of crushed Marie biscuits
- 1 cup of coconut plus extra to roll the balls in
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence - or 4 dessertspoons of rum if you prefer
- Crush biscuits, add all of the other ingredients into the bowl and mix together.
- Roll tablespoon of mixture into balls and roll in coconut to cover.
- Repeat until you have used all of the Rum Ball mixture.
- Place the Rum Balls into the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour to firm.