Contrary to popular belief, not everything I make is unhealthy. These protein balls are super quick to make, use up whatever you have in your pantry, and are a great snack to satisfy your sweet tooth – my husband even mistakes these for rum balls!
I came across the idea, whilst our baby boy was in NICU and one of his nurses bought some in for me to try. I normally don’t measure any of the ingredients I put in, however below is what went into my latest batch. I tried a friends version this week, she adds acai berries and cocoa powder which gave them a great flavour.
To make these Protein Balls lunchbox friendly, simply omit the nuts.
- 300 g pitted dates
- 1/4 cup LSA mix
- 2 tablespoons hazlenut meal
- 1/4 cup coconut + extra for rolling
- 2 tablespoons black chia seeds
- 100 g walnuts
- 50 g blanched almonds - toasted
- 50 g brazil nuts
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 20 minutes until they are soft. Drain the excess excess water.
- In a large bowl, add the soaked dates, LSA mix, hazlenut meal and coconut. Using a stick blender, blitz until dates reach desired consistency (I like the dates to still have some shape to them, it's up to you though!)
- Add the chia seeds, walnuts, almonds and brazil nuts (omit the nuts to make these lunchbox friendly) and blitz until nuts are in smaller pieces - don't worry, even though it doesn't look very appealing, they do taste great!
- Roll tablespoon sized balls in coconut and then pop into the fridge to set.
What’s your favourite protein/bliss ball ingredient combination?