When I was browsing through my old recipe books a few weeks ago (as you do!) I came across a recipe for ‘Jumbo Hedgehog Slice’ and realised I’d never actually made a Hedgehog Slice before! This recipe is a little different to traditional Hedgehog Slice as it doesn’t contain any walnuts and is packed full of the fabulous combination of condensed milk, biscuits, coconut and cocoa – yum!
Both of my little helpers were very eager to join in the fun of putting this easy Hedgehog Slice together and I had to intervene when their biscuit crushing antics turned into trying to bash each other with rolling pins – fun times. Thankfully they can easily be distracted and in no time they had moved on to ‘making’ using wooden blocks and my electric mixer – which was unplugged of course!
This allowed me to finish off putting this Hedgehog Slice together in no time at all and it was done and in the fridge starting to set by the time I needed to break up their next fight.
Be warned, this recipe does make quite a big slice and you really do need to use a 20cm square tin or alternatively a small slice tin with high sides. Regardless of whether you make this the old fashioned way or using a Thermomix, it takes no time at all to put together.
How to make Hedgehog Slice in the Thermomix:
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin with baking paper, making sure you leave plenty hanging over the edges to help you remove the slice once it’s set.
- Place one pack of the plain biscuits into your Thermomix Bowl and crush for 3 seconds on speed 4. Add the second pack and crush for a further 3 seconds on speed 4 – use your spatular/ wooden spoon to roughly break up any large biscuits and pour into a separate bowl and set aside until needed.
- Pour the condensed milk into your Thermomix Bowl and add the butter (3cm pieces) and cocoa. Cook for 2 minutes on 60 degrees speed 1 or until the butter has completely melted.
- Add the biscuits and shredded coconut to your Thermomix Bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 REVERSE or until the mixture has combined.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared slice tin and flatten the surface with the back of a metal spoon.
- Clean your Thermomix Bowl and make sure it’s completely DRY before adding the chocolate pieces. Cook for 2 minutes on 50 degrees speed 3 or until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over the top of your slice and place it in the fridge for 4 hours or until set.
Do your kids like to ‘help’ too?
If you are a fan of no bake recipes too, make sure you check out my collection of the best no bake recipes!