This easy Caramel Slice recipe is hands down one of my all time favourite slice recipe – a big call I know, but once you make this you will know what I’m talking about. My Mum actually put me onto this recipe and likes to make an even more decadent version (if that is ever possible!!!) by using Hazelnut Chocolate as the icing, you can find that recipe here.
This is also one of Mum’s favourite recipes, so it only made sense to make a batch when she was visiting us recently. She even managed to drag herself away from playing with the boys (they are just a little obsessed with their “Nanny”) and gave me a hand making this.
Needless to say once the boys cottoned on to the fact we were ‘making’ they were both pushing their little chairs up to the kitchen bench eager to help. As much as I love cooking with them, this is one recipe which isn’t toddler friendly so they had to make do stirring their blocks around in bowls instead. The hardest part of making the slice is how long you have to wait for it to set and the top was covered with more than a couple of fingerprints where I had eagerly checked it’s consistency.
When the time came this slice certainly didn’t disappoint and between the four of us we may have consumed a few too many pieces!
Easy Caramel Slice
- 1 cup 150g of plain flour
- ½ cup of coconut
- 125 g of butter
- ½ cup 70g of brown sugar
- ⅓ cup 120g of golden syrup
- 125 g of butter
- 2 x 400g cans of condensed milk - Make sure you use a good quality brand I use Nestle as I've heard that the caramel hasn't set too well when other brands of condensed milk (homebrand/aldi) have been used.
- 220 g of milk chocolate
- ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter.
- Place the flour, coconut, sugar and butter into a large bowl and mix with a metal spoon to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared slice tin and flatten the surface with a spoon. Place the tray into the oven and bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until it's golden brown.
- In the meantime you can start making the caramel filling. Place the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup into a small saucepan and stir oven a low heat for approximately 8 minutes or until the mixture is lovely and thick.
- Pour the caramel over the base once it has cooked and put it back in the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes or until the caramel is golden.
- Remove the slice from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before place it in the fridge to chill.
- Once the slice has chilled, place the milk chocolate and vegetable oil into a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 second spurts until it's melted. Pour over the top of the slice and return to the fridge for 1 hour or until set.
- Cut into small squares to serve.
Please note it’s important to use a good quality condensed milk when making the caramel (I use Nestle) as the caramel doesn’t seem to set as well when using other brands such as home brand or Aldi.
Thermomix Easy Caramel Slice Recipe
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
2. Place 125g of butter into the bowl of your Thermomix and cook for 3 minutes on 60 degrees speed 2 or until melted.
3. Add brown sugar, coconut and plain flour and mix for 20 seconds on speed 3 or until combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared slice tin and flatten the surface with a spoon. Place the tray into the oven and bake for 16 – 18 minutes or until it’s golden.
5. In a clean Thermomix bowl, add the golden syrup, butter and condensed milk and cook for 8 minutes at 70 degrees on speed 3. Pour the caramel over the cooked slice base and place the slice back into the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes or until the surface is golden and has set.
6. Remove the slice from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before placing it in the fridge to chill.
7. Once the slice has chilled, break the milk chocolate into pieces and place it along with the oil into a clean Thermomix bowl and cook for 2 minutes, 60 degrees on speed 2.
8. Pour the melted chocolate over the slice before returning it to the fridge to set completely.
9. Cut the set slice into squares and enjoy!
What’s your all time favourite slice recipe?
You can also shop our entire eBook range here.