Whenever I think of birthday parties from my childhood, I think of games like pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, hide and seek and egg and spoon races. When it comes to party food, my mind immediately conjures up images of Chocolate Crackles sprinkled with hundreds and thousands, Smiley Face Lolly Biscuits, Fairy Bread, Sausage Rolls and of course – Honey Joys.
I honestly don’t think I’ve ever eaten a Honey Joy when I wasn’t at a birthday party. Honey Joys are just one of those treats that seem to only be associated with parties. I’d also never made them before, but when I spied a recipe for them in my Mum’s old recipe book, I quickly decided we just had to have some for our Baby Boy’s first birthday party.
They honestly took no time at all to make, maybe 15 minutes at the most. They turned out just as I had remembered them, deliciously sweet and crunchy. While they are certainly a ‘treat’ item, I know they will be a regular on our birthday party menu.
Easy Party Food - Honey Joys
- 4 cups of Corn Flakes
- 125 g of butter
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Line 2 x 12 muffin tins with paper cases.
- Put the butter, sugar and honey into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat until all melted. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add your cornflakes to a large bowl and pour over the honey mixture while you gently stir to combine.
- Using a metal spoon, transfer into paper cases before baking in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.