This easy Cheese Sauce has a lot going for it. It’s easy to make, practically no fail and is so versatile. I make it regularly, and use it on anything from Lasagna, Cannelloni, poured over steamed or roasted Vegetables and Pasta Bakes – it would also be great served with Silverside.
It’s another one of my Mum’s recipes because let’s be honest, aren’t our Mum’s recipes often the best? The key to this sauce is to keep it moving – you need to start stirring/whisking it as soon as the heat is turned on. After only 3 – 4 minutes you will have a smooth, delicious and cheesy sauce. Enjoy!
Easy Cheese Sauce - Back to Basics
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of grated tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper - Use white pepper if you don't want black pepper flakes in you sauce.
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan (not over heat).
- Turn on the stove to a medium high heat and using a whisk stir constantly until mixture thickens just below boiling point. This should only take a few minutes.
- Remove sauce from stove top and if not using immediately, cover the top with a piece of cling film to stop a skin from forming.
If you have recipe suggestions for my Back to Basics series I would love to hear them!
What is your favourite family recipe?