If you thought that Friday’s couldn’t possibly get any better, then you thought wrong! Why? Because it’s Fabulous Foodie Fridays time of course and you are going to LOVE this easy Chicken and Corn Soup Recipe!!!
Now it’s over to Lucy with our recipe of the week – a yummy Chicken & Corn Soup…
I have literally been making this easy Chicken and Corn soup for years. It’s so easy and regularly makes an appearance in our house (especially during the freezing winter months).
I love this recipe because it’s perfect for when you get home late and need to quickly whip up something healthy and tasty for dinner. Usually I’ll just use a cooked chicken from the supermarket (which makes this recipe even easier), but you can definitely poach your own chicken breasts if you prefer.
My version of Chicken & Corn Soup has a little sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce in it to give it a bit of a kick in the flavour department, but you could of course, leave out the sweet chilli if you have little kiddies. Mind you, it’s such a subtle flavour that they probably won’t even notice!!
What else makes this version of Chicken & Corn Soup so yummy? I always add some cornflour mixed with water so that you end up with a slightly thicker soup, as compared to a watery broth. I also like to drizzle in a little whisked egg white at the end of cooking to make it extra authentic!
If you’re like me and love soy sauce, then feel free to drizzle a little more over the top when serving. Pop a few pieces of spring onion on top and you’re set to go. Easy-peasy dinner= totally sorted!
Is there anything better than a big bowl of soup in winter? Well perhaps a big bowl of soup with a crusty roll or savoury muffin on the side!
Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 420 g can creamed corn
- 125 g can corn kernels drained, rinsed
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken - a BBQ chicken from the supermarket works perfectly or 2 small chicken breasts poached and shredded
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour dissolved in a little water
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- Place stock, garlic, creamed corn, corn kernels, half the spring onion and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce.
- Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through - after 5 minutes add the cornflour dissolved in a little water and stir.
- Gradually drizzle in the whisked egg white and stir.
- Divide between bowls.
- Top with remaining onion and extra soy sauce (optional)
For more family favourites, check out our Family Dinners Made Easy book – also available in a Thermomix version.
You can shop the full range of books and ebooks here.