Growing up this Lasagna recipe was a favourite of my sister and I (and still is!) and has since become a favourite of my boys. It’s a recipe I’ve adapted and now call my own – although there really is nothing fancy or special about. Instead this easy Lasagna recipe has become a meal that I made for my family which I know EVERY ONE will eat. My recipe is a little different to Mum’s and I also like to cook it for a longer time to get the crunch on top that my husband likes – crazy I know, and I like to stuff mine full of veggies that the boys wouldn’t otherwise eat.
Instead of a tradition béchamel sauce (which you can certainly use if you prefer), I simply make Mum’s Easy Cheese Sauce recipe which you can find here.
Easy Lasagna Recipe
- 500 g of mince beef
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bacon rashers
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 stick of celery - chopped finely
- 300 g of mushrooms - chopped finely
- 440 g tin of tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- ¼ cup of tomato relish
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 1 box of Instant Lasagna sheets
- Place the chopped onion, crushed garlic and sliced bacon into a large saucepan. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the mince beef and use a spoon to break up any lumps and mix in with the bacon and onion. Cook for a further 3 minutes or until the meat begins to brown.
- Add the grated carrot, sliced celery and mushrooms and mix to combine. Cook for another 3 - 4 minutes or until the carrot and celery begin to soften.
- Add the tomato soup, tomato paste and tomato sauce along with the dried mixed herbs. Mix all of the ingredients together and reduce to a medium/low heat before covering your saucepan and cook for 35 minutes. Check every 10 minutes and give it a good stir.
- In the meantime, make your cheese sauce by placing all of the ingredients into a small saucepan. Turn the heat onto medium and cook for approximate 7 minutes or until all the ingredients have combined and the cheese sauce begins to thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and take out a large lasagna dish.
- Place a layer of pasta on the bottom of the dish and add ⅓ of the meat sauce. Place another layer of pasta on top before adding another ⅓ of the meat sauce on top. Repeat until you have used all of your meat sauce and have a layer of pasta on top.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the layer of pasta on top and place the baking dish into the oven to cook for 35 - 40 minutes.
This recipe makes enough to feed our entire family with enough leftovers to pop into the freezer for another couple of easy meals.
Do you make any of your favourite childhood recipes for your kids?