I’m always on the look out for new snacks to make for the boys, and came up with the idea to make Pizza Scrolls last week in an attempt to use up some of the ham we STILL have leftover from Christmas.
The boys both LOVE helping to make pizzas, so they naturally both wanted to get involved in making these scrolls. This is the same scroll base recipe as I have used in the past, but this is the first time I have made these using my Thermomix – instructions for both below. I really like how easy it is to put together – especially as there is no yeast, so no waiting around for the dough to rise and having to deal with impatient little helpers.
You really could add any combination of ingredients to this recipe, it’s really only limited by what you already have in the pantry and fridge. These scrolls were a big hit with both the boys, and as well as being a great morning tea treat, they would also make a great lunchbox filler or after school snack.
Hawaiian Pizza Scrolls
- 2 cups 300g of self raising flour + extra to dust
- 90 g of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup 160ml of milk
- 1/4 cup of pizza sauce
- 1 cup of grated tasted cheese - plus 1/4 cup extra
- 100 g of ham
- 1/2 small tin of pineapple pieces - drained
- Extra milk to brush
- Preheat your oven to 210 degrees and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of bread crumbs.
- Slowly add the milk and use a butter knife to combine.Turn out the dough and knead until it forms a smooth ball.Use a rolling pin to roll dough out until you have a 30 x 40cm rectangle.
- Spoon the pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a 2cm gap around the edges.
- Brush one long edge with a little milk.
- Scatter the ham, pineapple and cheese over the pizza sauce.
- Starting at the long side (without milk) carefully roll the dough until enclosed.
- Cut into 12 slices – approximately 2cm thick.
- Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with a little extra grated cheese.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through.
1. Preheat your oven to 210 degrees and line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Place the flour, butter and salt into the Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 9 until mixture is the same consistency as bread crumbs.
3. Add the milk and mix for 7 seconds on speed 4 to combine.
4. Use the kneading function to knead the dough for 2 minutes
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured bench and using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until you have a 30cm x 40cm rectangle.
Follow instructions above from step 6.
I’d love to hear your favourite snack and lunchbox recipes – what do your kids love?