I promise you this is the BEST Chocolate Chip Anzac Slice recipe you will ever make – or eat!
We make Anzac Slice VERY regularly in our house (we would make it every second day if our five year old had his way!) but every so often as a special treat, I make the boys this Chocolate Chip version. There is nothing too special about this recipe, and all I do is add chocolate chips to my favourite Anzac Slice recipe, however our two older boys think it’s just the best thing ever!
When adding the chocolate chips to this recipe, it’s important to let the mixture sit for a minute or two (especially if you are making it in a Thermomix) to let it cool before adding the chocolate chips, and also making sure you add them just as the slice is ready to go into the oven. If you don’t you may find that your chocolate chips will lose their shape and start to melt through the Anzac Slice mixture, which really isn’t that bad of an issue to have I guess 😉
Another important tip to remember when making this Chocolate Chip Anzac Slice, is to make sure you let it cool completely before you cut it into pieces, yes I know it’s tempting to cut it up and enjoy when it’s straight out of the oven, however you will end up with a crumbly mess if you do that – although it may be nice sprinkled over ice-cream that way!
The Best Chocolate Chip Anzac Slice Recipe
- 1 & 1/4 cups 180g of plain flour
- 1 & 1/4 cups 140g of rolled oats
- 1 cup 160g of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup 85gof desiccated coconut
- 150 g of butter - chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons of boiling water
- 150 g chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced) and line a slice tin (approx 28cm x 18cm) with baking paper. Make sure you leave some paper hanging over the edges to help you remove the slice from the tin later.
- In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, oats, brown sugar and coconut and make a well in the centre - this is a great step for the kids to help you with.
- Chop the butter into pieces and place it along with the golden syrup into a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 second spurts until the butter has just melted. Stir to combine and set aside until needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water and then carefully add to the bowl with the melted butter and golden syrup. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a large metal spoon to mix until it’s just about combined - a metal spoon is best as the mixture doesn’t stick to it as much as a wooden spoon.
- Add the chocolate chips and working quickly, mix through.
- Pour the slice into your prepared pan and using the back of a spoon, press the mixture evenly into slice tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until the slice is golden brown.
- Carefully remove the slice from the oven and allow it to completely cool in the tray.
- Use the overhanging baking paper to remove the slice from the tin and cut into squares to serve.
The Best Chocolate Chip Anzac Slice Thermomix instructions
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and line an 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, golden syrup and brown sugar into the Thermomix bowl and cook for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 2 to melt.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda and mix for 10 seconds on Speed 3.
- Add the rolled oats, plain flour and coconut and mix for 20 seconds, REVERSE, Speed 2 to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 10 seconds, REVER, speed 2 until combined.
- Leave the mixture to cool for 2 minutes before adding the chocolate chips and stirring through with your spatula.
- Place the mixture into the tray and press down firmly before popping it into the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Leave the Anzac Slice in the baking tray to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For more family recipes, grab your copy of my Family Dinners Made Easy book.