This easy Pikelet Recipe (or mini pancakes) make a great breakfast or snack for the family.
These soft and fluffy Pikelets really are the ultimate way to start your day. They take no time at all to put together (important when you have hangry kids!) and a batch will go a long way.
How to Make my Easy Pikelet Recipe:
Firstly, you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- Self-raising flour
- Caster Sugar
Then, it is simply a matter of melting the butter and combining it with the rest of the ingredients. You then pour a little mixture into your frying pan and cook until bubbles begin to appear – too easy!
What to Serve With Pikelets
The boys covered their Pikelets with a VERY thick layer of Raspberry Jam,, however we also enjoy the following toppings:
- Lemon and sugar
- Apricot Jam
- Maple Syrup
- Fresh Fruit
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use Plain Flour to make Pikelets?
Yes you can. You will need to add 1 tsp of baking powder to the mixture
Do I need to use Buttermilk to make Fluffy Pikelets?
To be honest I rarely use Buttermilk to make this recipe and still find the pikelets to be soft and fluffy. However you can use Buttermilk in place of regular milk if you wish for an even softer result.
Can these Pikelets be frozen?
Yes you can freeze cooked pikelets – this makes them a great lunch box snack!
Easy Pikelet Recipe
- Frying Pan
- 1 & ¼ cup self raising flour 190 grams
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 200 ml milk 180 grams
- 60 grams butter melted
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- butter extra to grease frying pan
- Sift the self raising flour into a bowl and stir through the caster sugar and salt.
- In a jug, add the milk, egg and cooled melted butter and combine well with a small whisk.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl with the flour and use a whisk to combine all of the ingredients.
- Place a non stick frying pan on the stove over a medium high heat and add a little butter.
- Place dessert spoon sized amounts of the mixture into the frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes before carefully flipping over and cooking for a further minute.
- Transfer the cooked Pikelets to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat (adding a little extra butter as needed) until you have used all of the mixture.
- Serve Pikets with your favourite topping or keep in the fridge/freezer until required.
- Put the butter into your Thermomix bowl and cook for 2 minutes, 60 degrees, speed 2 or until melted.
- Add the self raising flour, caster sugar, milk, egg and a sprinkle of salt and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5.
- Preheat your frying pan with a little bit of butter over a medium high heat and add tablespoon amounts of the mixture.
- When bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pikelets, carefully flip them over and cook for a further 30 seconds on the other side before transferring to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Continue until you have used all of the pikelet mixture.
Looking for more easy snack recipes? You might also enjoy:
- Apple Pikelets | An Easy Kids Snack with no Added Sugar
- The Best Thermomix Banana Bread Recipe
- Milo and Weet-Bix Balls | An Easy Lunchbox Snack Recipe
- Easy Corn and Zucchini Fritters