This collection includes over 100 sandwich filling ideas that are great for the kids – and grown ups too!
When I posted a question on my Facebook page asking what people what were their (and their kids) favourite sandwich fillings, I NEVER imagined the incredible (and delicious!) response I would get. I had a list of around 15 sandwich fillings written down before asking for help putting together this list, and I then ended up with 100+ sandwich filling ideas for kids within 12 hours – wow!
I couldn’t resist trying a couple of your suggestions for our lunch today, and both the boys and I quickly fell in love with the combination of vegemite and lettuce that quite a few of you mentioned – who would have thought?!
As there were so many awesome ideas in the comments, I decided to put them together in one easy post for you so that you will have inspiration when making sandwiches for both the kids and yourself for the rest of the year – enjoy!
Some commonly asked questions about sandwich making also came up in this discussion, including:
Can you Freeze Sandwiches?
Yes you can, however it all depends on what filling you use. For sandwiches with simple spread fillings such as peanut butter and vegemite or ham and cheese, you can certainly prepare these in advance.
What’s the best lunch box to keep Sandwiches fresh?
This does come down to personal preference, however I do love our GoGreen lunch boxes (you can read more about my thoughts on them here) and I also find Yumbox and Little Lunchbox Co products great for keeping food fresh.
Sandwich Filling Ideas:
Below you will find a list of more than 100 easy sandwich filling ideas which are perfect not only for the kids, but also adults too. Don’t forget you can also use these fillings in wraps and pitas too!
- Vegemite and lettuce
- Promite, peanut butter and 100s and 1000s
- Vegemite and Honey
- Vegemite and thinly sliced apple
- Vegemite and strawberry jam
- Peanut butter and honey
- Peanut butter and banana
- Strawberry jam
- Peanut butter, grated carrot, sprouts and sultanas
- Cream cheese and jam
- Nutella and Banana
- Peanut butter and Nutella
- Peanut butter, lettuce, tomato and cucumber
- Vegemite and sultanas
- Peanut Butter and sultanas
- Vegemite, cheese and lettuce
- Nutella and bacon
- Vegemite and avocado
- Peanut butter and cheese
- Peanut butter, honey and banana
- Vegemite, honey, tomato and onion
- Cream cheese and pepper
- Cream cheese and tomato
- Cream cheese, grated carrot, sultanas and a sprinkle of coconut
Egg Sandwich Fillings:
- Curried egg and lettuce,
- Eggs with mayo, sweet chilli and BBQ sauce
- Curried eggs and mayo
- Bacon and egg
- Boiled eggs, lettuce and mayo
- Mashed egg, tomato, mayo and salt and pepper.
Chicken and Turkey Fillings
- Chicken, chives and mayo
- Chicken, cheese, spinach, honey mustard and mayo
- Chicken and basil pesto
- Chicken and roast pumpkin
- Chicken, avocado, cheese, pineapple and lettuce
- Chicken, capsicum dip and cheese
- Chicken, lettuce and mayo
- Chicken, walnuts, celery and mayo
- Chicken, grated carrot, cream cheese and mayo
- Chicken and cheese,
- Chicken, apple sauce and cheese
- Grilled chicken and salad
- Chicken, cheese and BBQ sauce
- Chicken Schnitzel, eggplant, avocado and swiss cheese
- Shredded chicken, cream cheese and lettuce
- Chicken and BBQ sauce
- Turkey, cranberry Sauce and cream cheese,
- Turkey, lettuce and bacon
Ham Sandwich Fillings
- Ham, mayo and seeded mustard
- Ham and sauce
- Ham, cheese spread, red onion and tomato
- Ham and cream cheese
- Ham and coleslaw
- Ham, camembert cheese and sprouts
- Ham, avocado and cheese
- Roast pork, apple sauce and gravy
- Ham, red onion, mayo, salt and white pepper.
- Tuna, mayo and caper
- Tuna, cheese, lettuce and avocado
- Tuna, mayo and lettuce
- Tuna, cheese, lettuce and mayo
- Tuna, mayo and chopped chilli
- Tuna, garlic aioli, salt and pepper
- Bacon and cream cheese
- Salami and cheese
- Rissoles and tomato sauce
- Roast Beef and tomato relish
- Roast Beef and pickles
- Corned beef, cheese and tomato
- Devon and sauce
- Fritz and sauce
- Bacon, brie and cranberry sauce
- Salami, cheese, spinach and chutney
- Sausages and sauce
- Bacon, beetroot and tasty cheese
- Bacon and Cheese
- Prosciutto and swiss cheese
Vegetarian Sandwich Fillings
- Cheese and beetroot
- Cheese, grated carrot and mayo
- Banana and avocado
- Halloumi and cucumber
- Cucumber and mayo
- Tomato and cheese
- Cheese and honey
- Vegemite with salt and vinegar potato chips
- Cheese and pickles
- Banana and Nutella
- Cucumber, carrot and cheese
- Grated cheese and green chilli
- Baked beans and cheese
- Grated zucchini, carrot, cheese, spring onions and mayo
- Banana and mayo
- Lettuce and cucumber
- Tomato and mayo
- Cucumber and cream cheese
- Grated carrot and beetroot
- Avocado, tomato, cheese and lettuce
- Cheese and BBQ sauce
For more lunch box ideas, you might enjoy these recipes:
- Banana Pikelets
- Baked Chicken Zucchini and Cheese Balls
- Easy Zucchini Slice Recipe with Thermomix Instructions
- Nut Free Muesli Slice | Great for Lunch Boxes
I’ve also put together a collection of my favourite freezer friendly lunch box recipes here.
So comprehensive! All the best for first day of school for your big boy!
Oh my, so many ideas! I love a good curried egg, thats definitely going on my menu this week 🙂
Oh so many fabulous suggestions.
Pity I am reducing my bread intake .
What a great post. Definitely some new ones to try for my daughter’s lunchbox. I have shared this post on my Facebook Page.
Anna @Kids Play Space
How about falafels or veggie balls?! Great list here! So much choice! I’m intrigued to see what our little Prep kiddo takes to this year in his sandwiches!
Kirsty @ My Home Truths
So many amazing combinations here. I’m not sure I’ll ever get my kids to try some of these (or me, to be honest!) but there are heaps of delicious ideas for everyone here. Thanks so much for sharing Lauren!
liv @ eeniemeeniemineymum
OMG i’m seriously bookmarking this. I’m going to make my children write you personalised thank you cards lol. I get very bogged down in the whole vegemite sandwich rut! There are some great ideas here and ones I’d love to introduce my kids to now they’re starting school. I think adding more variety for them will make lunch much more fun for all of us!!
Amazing list! I have a weakness for peanut butter and strawberry jam for breakfast but my kids think it’s gross. Will definitely need to try some of these options in the school year ahead!
Wow what an epic list! Pinning this one for when my daughter starts school next year 🙂
Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
Oooh so many new ones to try!!!! Definitely a peanut butter and banana girl here… and of course a cheese and ham toastie!