This week I’m sharing my Easy Egg and Bacon Pie recipe which really is a great easy family dinner. You can enjoy it on it’s own, or serve it with some veggies to turn it into a complete meal.
For the past couple of weeks I’ve been met with sight of a lonely sheet of puff pastry every time I open the freezer door – a leftover from the sausage rolls I made recently for our baby boy’s birthday party. My husband had tried to throw it out, claiming I wouldn’t use it and it would just dry up and have to be thrown out anyway. I was determined to prove him wrong and last weekend I set myself the challenge to put it to use. Looking through our fridge and noticing we had an oversupply of eggs, plus some bacon and parmesan cheese which also needed to be used, I quickly decided to make an egg and bacon pie.
This is a really easy meal to put together. I cooked it in the morning and then that night I covered the dish with foil and popped it back into the oven for approximately 20 minutes on 170 degrees to reheat it. We served it with homemade tomato relish (YUM!), roasted pumpkin, steamed broccoli and a packet of Continental’s Alfredo Pasta.
My husband was impressed not only with the fact I’d actually used the leftover pastry, but he also enjoyed the pie. Fortunately I wrote down what went into the pie and what I did as I didn’t follow a recipe and this will definitely be making another appearance on our dinner table.
Fabulous Foodie Fridays #4 - Easy Egg and Bacon Pie
- 8 Eggs
- 5 rashers of short cut bacon - diced
- 1 brown onion - chopped into small pieces
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of parsley - finely chopped up
- ¾ cup of tasty cheese - grated
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese - finely grated
- 1 to mato - thinly sliced
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry - thawed
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees and lightly grease 20cm pie tin (or you can use a 20 x 20cm casserole dish like I did)
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll the sheet of pastry to around half of it’s original thickness.
- Place the pastry into dish, and use your fingers to lightly push the pastry into the corners of the dish, and up the sides.
- Add the garlic, onion and bacon to a frypan over a medium/high heat and cook for 10 minutes or until the bacon is crispy, and the onion is translucent. Remove from frying pan and place on a sheet of paper towel to remove excess oil and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs together, add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon half of the bacon and onion, ½ cup of tasty cheese and ¼ cup of parmesan cheese over the pastry. Slowly pour the whisked eggs over the top of the pastry, then add the remaining bacon and onion mixture.
- Top with slices of tomato, a small sprinkle of freshly cracked pepper and top with remaining ¼ cup of grated tasty cheese.
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes, or until the centre a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
You can find more family dinner ideas in ‘Family Dinners Made Easy‘.