This Honey and Rice Bubble Slice is a great alternative to store bought bars – it can also be made regularly or using a Thermomix too!
I often find myself getting a little bored with the snacks that I give to the kids, so I imagine they feel the same way too! When the boys spied some puffed rice cereal bars in the supermarket recently, the had to make a deal with them to get me out of buying them – I would instead make them a huge tray of something that tastes even better!
This Honey Rice Bubble Slice is the result and the recipe is based on one I found in an old CWA cookbook. Given this slice is consumed mainly by the boys (although I do enjoy a piece of two with my afternoon cup of tea) I leave the sugar out of this recipe, however if you want it a little sweeter, simply add 1/2 cup of caster sugar when melting the butter and honey. To make this slice, all you need is a large saucepan (make sure it’s big enough to accomodate ALL of your ingredients) and once you’ve added the cereal and coconut, the kids can help you out (with supervision of course) mixing the ingredients together and pouring into the slice tin.
I usually cut this slice into small pieces, however you can also cut it into thin bars to help it more closely resemble store bought bars. My kids both give this slice a big tick of approval and it’s a relatively low cost recipe to make, especially when compared to buying similar bars from the supermarket!
Thermomix Honey and Rice Bubble Slice Instructions
- Line an 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper, making sure to leave plenty of paper hanging over the sides to help you remove the slice once it has set.
- Place the honey and butter (which has been cut into cubes) into your Thermomix bowl and cook for 3 minutes, 70 degrees, speed 2. If the butter hasn’t quite melted (this can happen depending on the temperature of the butter to begin with), cook for a further 1 minute, 70 degrees, speed 2.
- Add the rice bubbles and coconut and mix for 5 seconds, speed 4, REVERSE.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 3 seconds, speed 4, REVERSE to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared slice tin and press the slice down with the back of a spoon to flatten it. Place the slice into the fridge for 2 hours to firm.
- Cut into pieces to serve.