Just a couple of hours before our Baby Boy’s First Birthday party was set to begin, I started panicking that we didn’t have enough food. Despite reassurance from my family who was staying with us, I couldn’t shake the feeling we needed something extra.
I turned to my all time favourite cookie recipe from Donna Hay. I’ve made so many variations of it over the years and it has never failed me. Looking through the pantry I found an unopened bag of ‘fun size’ Mars Bars (roughly the equivalent of four ‘regular’ sized bars) and quickly decided I’d use them.
A few of the Mars Bars may have gone missing during the prep (I’m looking at my husband and sister), but there were still plenty of gooey chocolatey chunks of Mars Bar left to add into the cookie mix.
These cookies were amazing straight from the oven. The chocolate and caramel of the Mars Bars had melted into the cookie mixture and the result was just amazing.
In hindsight I probably didn’t really need to make these, and there certainly was enough food for all of our guests . However if I hadn’t had my little pre-party panic, I never would have made these amazingly delicious cookies which I’ve already now made twice since the party!
Mars Bar Cookies
- 125 g butter – softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour – sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 x 85g Mars Bars
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees and line two baking trays with paper.
- Roughly chop the Mars Bars into small chunks, set aside until needed.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir through the flour, baking powder, coconut, chocolate chips and Mars Bars.
- Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on the baking tray, make sure to give them room to spread.
- Lightly flatten the tops of the cookies before placing into the oven to bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on trays before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you can’t get enough of Mars Bars, why not try my one bowl Mars Bar Cake, Mars Bar Slice or my 3 Ingredient Mars Bar Fudge!
these are amazing i made them this morning my daughter has already eaten two!!!