These Pizza Pinwheels are guaranteed to be a hit at your next BBQ or party!
You guys should well and truly know by now that I’m a HUGE fan of simple recipes, and these Pizza Pinwheels are not only super easy to make, but will also be a hit with your family and friends.
I love to make pastry pinwheels when we have friends over as not only are the quick to make, but I can make them in advance and keep in the freezer until I need them. I can also modify the fillings to suit all tastes (even the kids!) and they are also a great way to use up any leftover ingredients that I have floating around the fridge.
I like to use pizza sauce when making these Pizza Pinwheels, however you can also use pasta sauce or crushed tomatoes if that’s all you have. We’ve had fun coming up with a few different ingredient combinations (salami, olives and cheese is awesome), but these traditional ham, cheese and pineapple pizza pinwheels are our favourites by far.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry - partially thawed
- 100 g of shaved ham
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs
- 2/3 cup of pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons of bbq sauce
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (fan forced) and line two trays with baking paper.
- Cut the ham into small pieces and set aside until needed.
- Place the two sheets of puff pastry which have partially thawed, onto your kitchen bench and brush the top and bottom edges of the pastry lightly with the beaten egg.
- Spread the pizza sauce over each sheet of pastry, leaving a 1cm border. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of bbq sauce to each pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle half of the ham pieces over the pizza sauce on each sheet of pastry and top with the pineapple and mozzarella.
- Carefully roll up the pastry, starting at the bottom with the edge brushed with egg, and roll to enclose the filling. Repeat.
- Place both of the rolled up sheets of pastry into the fridge for 15 minutes to firm.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut each roll into 8 equal pieces. Place each pizza pinwheel onto your prepared baking trays.
- Brush a little of the beaten eggs over each pinwheel and sprinkle the with the remaining tasty cheese and mixed herbs.
- Place the Pizza Pinwheels into the oven to cook for 12 - 15 minutes or until they are puffed and golden - serve immediately.