I am a sucker for ANY recipe that contains pesto, and when there is feta as well, there is a fair chance I will eat it all! Not only are these Spinach Pesto and Feta Pinwheels a great vegetarian snack, they are also perfect for your next party, a quiet night in watching the footy or a lunchbox snack for the kids.
I came up with this combination a few months ago when I realised just a couple of hours before a few friends were coming over that I had no options for one of my friends who is a vegetarian. Thankfully I found a couple of sheets of puff pastry stashed in the back of the freezer and I had the other ingredients on hand thanks to my love affair with Chicken, Cheese and Pesto Quesadillas while I was pregnant, and had these delicious little treats ready in no time at all.
Along with feta, these Spinach Pesto and Feta Pinwheels also contain both parmesan and mozzarella cheese, making them perfect for all of the cheese lovers out there! I love how all three of these cheeses melt together and ooze out of the top of these pinwheels just a little bit.
This recipe makes 16 pinwheels, however if you are catering for a crowd, you can easily double the recipe. These are also the perfect party food as you can make them in advance and just pop them into your freezer until you need them. When reheating, if you find they are browning too much, just put a sheet of foil over the top of the tray. I usually reheat them on 180 degrees for around 10 – 15 minutes.
Spinach Pesto and Feta Pinwheels
- 2 sheets of puff pastry - partially thawed
- ½ cup of basil pesto
- 100 g of feta cheese - crumbled
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese - finely grated
- ½ cup of mozzarella cheese - grated
- 80 g of baby spinach leaves
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (fan forced) and line two trays with baking paper.
- Place the two sheets of puff pastry which have partially thawed, onto your kitchen bench and brush the top and bottom edges lightly with the beaten egg.
- Spread half of the pesto over each sheet of pastry, leaving a 1cm border around all of the edges.
- Sprinkle half of the crumbed feta cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and baby spinach leaves over each sheet of pastry.
- Carefully roll up each slice of pastry, starting at the bottom with the edge brushed with egg, and roll to enclose the filling.
- Place both of the rolled up sheets of pastry into the fridge for 15 minutes to firm.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut each roll into 8 equal pieces. Place each pinwheel onto your prepared baking trays.
- Brush a little of the beaten eggs over each pinwheel
- Place the Spinach Pesto and Feta Pinwheels into the oven to cook for 12 - 15 minutes or until they are puffed and golden.
If you can’t get enough of Spinach and Feta recipes, make sure you check out my Spinach and Feta Rolls and Spinach and Three Cheese Triangles!