These easy Steamed Vegetable Dumplings are perfect for both an easy dinner or your next party!
We’ve been making these easy Steamed Vegetable Dumplings for a few years now, and have adjusted the recipe as time has gone on to suit the tastebuds of the kids. I know the thought of making your own dumplings can be a little daunting, but these are super simple to make and are also a great way to use up any vegetables you may have lurking in the bottom of your fridge.
We’ve made these dumplings with grated sweet potato, pumpkin, cabbage and even corn in the past, and you can also add minced pork, chicken or beef for a meat version. If your kids are a little sensitive to sweet chilli sauce you can easily eat it out or serve it as a dipping sauce on the side, alternatively soy sauce is also the perfect companion for these dumplings and the kids just love to dip their dumplings into their own dipping bowls!
While we often make these as an easy dinner, they are also the perfect vegetarian finger food for either a grown up or kids party. You can find some more easy party food recipes here.
Steamed Vegetable Dumplings
- 2 green onions - finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups of wombok - finely sliced
- 1 small carrot - finely chopped
- 50 g of mushrooms - finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 20 fresh wonton wrappers
- Place the sesame oil into a large frying pan and cook the garlic, spring onions, wombok, carrot and mushrooms over a medium/high heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a large bowl and stir through the soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. Place in the fridge to allow the mixture to cool.
- Arrange your wonton wrappers onto your bench and spoon approximately 2 teaspoons of the cooled vegetable mixture into the centre of the wonton and lift the sides of the wonton wrapper up and twist to enclose the contents. Repeat until you have used all of the mixture.
- Line the base of a large steaming basket with baking paper and place the dumplings into the steamer in a single layer.
- Fill a wok (or large saucepan) until it's around 1/3 full with water and bring it to the boil. Carefully place steamer over your wok/saucepan, making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom. Steam the vegetable dumplings for approximately 10 - 15 minutes or until the wonton wrapper becomes translucent.
Have you made Steamed Dumplings before? What’s your favourite fillings?