After a particularly chaotic day where the boys had well and truly broken me (when asked our big boy told my husband he had “broken Mummy into two pieces” – it was more like 200!) I was seriously lacking motivation and inspiration for dinner. Given the boys had emptied the veggie crisper – yep that’s how awesome our day was, I decided to use some of the vegetables that were sitting on the floor and in the back of their dump trucks to make these easy Egg Muffins.
I also had the ulterior motive of distracting them from their quest to completely the destroy the house and put that energy towards something a little more positive. This is the perfect recipe to make with kids – especially little ones as all you need is half a dozen eggs, a little milk and your favourite vegetables to put these together. After setting up all of the ingredients, the boys had a great time putting these together and unbelievably we didn’t even have any fights! – winning!
Easy Egg Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 spring onion - finely diced
- 1/4 capsicum - finely diced
- 2 button mushrooms
- 3 rashers of shortcut bacon
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- In a large jug whisk together the eggs and milk and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the veggies in the bottom of the muffin tins before adding the egg mixture until half full.
- Sprinkle a little cheese over the top and place the tray into the oven to bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until your egg muffins have risen and turned golden brown.
- Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully removing and serve.
We ate these muffins for dinner and I just steamed some broccoli and beans to go with them. They would also make a great afternoon snack or lunchbox treat.
What do you do to distract your kids?