Over the weekend we celebrated one of my lovely friends turning the big 3 – 0. My contribution to the festivities included a Caramel Mudcake, decorated with Kit Kat’s, Maltesers and Smarties (so just a little bit of chocolate!), scones and sausage rolls – because let’s be honest, what’s a party without sausage rolls?
I decided to make two batches of sausage rolls, firstly using my usual recipe and then for something a little different, I used chicken mince and create these Chicken and Veggie Rolls. To try and bring some balance to the chocolate overload that was the cake, these sausage rolls are packed with veggies, and you could certainly add more if you want.
This is such an easy recipe and it only takes half an hour at the most to put together these delicious little parcels. What is also great about these, is you can make them ahead of time, and simply pop them into the freezer until needed.
Chicken and Vegetable Sausage Rolls
- 500 g Chicken Mince
- 5 sheets of frozen Puff Pastry
- 1 Zucchini - grated
- 1 Carrot - grated
- 1 brown onion - grated
- 1/4 cup of Corn Kernels I used frozen
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon of Tomato Relish or Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 egg - lightly whisked.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and line two trays with baking paper.
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and set aside to thaw slightly.
- Lightly whisk egg in a small bowl or mug - set aside.
- In a large bowl using a metal spoon, combine the mince, zucchini, carrot, onion, corn, sweet chilli and soy sauce, tomato relish and honey.
- Remove plastic from pastry sheet and cut in half with a sharp knife and brush long edges of pastry with egg.
- Scoop mince mixture and position in the middle of the pastry sheet
- Carefully roll the pastry over the top of mince mixture to fully enclose it. Cut sausage rolls into desired lengths (I usually cut into six pieces).
- Brush the tops with egg and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is crisp, golden and the sausage rolls are cooked through. Serve with Tomato Sauce and enjoy!
What is your favourite party food?
Linking up with The Multitasking Mummy for Mummy Mondays