When I think of party food, one of the first things that comes to mind are homemade Sausage Rolls. Now I am a bit of a Sausage Roll snob, they need to have crisp flaky pastry, veggies that you can actually identify in them and of course a yummy flavour.
When it comes to making them, I don’t really follow a specific recipe. It’s more about adding whatever I have in the cupboard and fridge at the time. In the past I’ve used honey, oyster sauce and steak sauce as ingredients. The last batch I made was for our big boy’s 2nd birthday, so I added a few extra veggies to help balance out all the cake the kids ate.
For me, the only accompaniment you should EVER serve with sausage rolls is homemade sauce. Since we didn’t have any ‘bought’ sauce in the pantry, I begrudgingly parted with some of my Mum’s homemade sauce for our party guests to enjoy.
For the sausage rolls pictured above, I followed the below recipe
Party Food - Homemade Sausage Rolls
- 6 sheets of ready made puff pastry
- 500 g beef mince
- 2 carrots - grated
- 1 zucchini - grated
- 4 slices of rindless bacon - diced
- 1 large brown onion - grated
- 2 eggs - 1 egg for mixture and the other is for egg wash
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce or tomato chutney
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds to garnish if you wish
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Remove pastry from freezer and allow to thaw slightly.
- Combine mince, veggies, 1 egg, sauces, thyme and salt and pepper in a bowl. Using a large spoon mix until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Lightly beat remaining egg into a cup.
- Cut a sheet of pastry in half, then using your hands, place meat mixture in the middle of the pastry sheet and then fold pastry over the top. Repeat until all of the meat/pastry has been used.
- Cut the sausage rolls into smaller pieces, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish.
- Bake in for approximately 20 minutes, or until pastry has turned golden brown. The baking time will vary depending on the size of your sausage rolls.
Want to make these sausage rolls in the Thermomix? You can find my Thermomix Sausage Roll Recipe here.
For more yummy party food ideas, check out my collection of easy party food recipes here.