With a simple homemade creamy dressing, I PROMISE you this is the BEST Potato Salad recipe you will ever make!! This classic Potato Salad recipe also needs just six simple ingredients to make, can easily be doubled if you are feeding a crowd AND you can make it up to two days in advance, perfect for entertaining.
Why you will love this recipe:
Now I don’t like to brag, but this is seriously the BEST Potato Salad recipe you will ever try – I promise! Made with hard boiled eggs and a creamy homemade mayonnaise dressing, it’s always one of the first dishes we run out of whenever we have a BBQ.
Versatile – along with enjoying this salad at a BBQ, it also help make the perfect lazy Summer lunch when served alongside a roast chicken and some oven baked corn – yum!
Make ahead options:
You can begin to prep the elements of this easy Potato Salad recipe ahead of time to help break up the time required to put this recipe together.
You can boil the eggs up to four days in advance and then simply store in the fridge in an airtight container. The potatoes can also be boiled a day in advance and again stored in the fridge in an airtight container until you are ready to prepare the salad.
This is one of those recipes that improves with flavour over time. You can prepare Potato Salad 1 – 2 days before you wish to serve it and it can be enjoyed within 5 days of preparing.
Ingredients for the BEST Potato Salad
Potato Salad Ingredients
You can use any type of Potatoes for this recipe, however for best results we like to use Baby White Potatoes. Other types of potatoes to use include any type of waxy potatoes including Yukon Gold Potatoes, Russet Potatoes, Red Rascal or Kipfler Potatoes. You will also need bacon and spring onions for this recipe, however you can also use red onion or white onion if you prefer. I like to include hard-boiled eggs in this salad, however you can omit these if you prefer.
Homemade Potato Salad Dressing Ingredients
I know it’s tempting to buy pre-made dressing, but I promise you it’s really simple to make a creamy potato salad dressing yourself and once you do, there will be no turning back! To make your own dressing, all you need is:
- Sour Cream
- Seeded Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make the BEST Potato Salad
Step 1. Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook with the onion until just tender.
Step 2. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Cook until they are just tender. This step can also be completed a day in advance. If you are adding boiled eggs to this salad, you can also boil them now.
3. Gently mix all the ingredients together and pop into the fridge until needed. This Potato Salad will keep in the fridge for up to five days.
And there you have it! This cream
Tips for Making this Recipe:
Some of our tips for making the very best potato salad recipe include:
We prefer to the leave the skin on the potatoes when making this recipe, however you can also peel the potatoes if you prefer.
We use whole egg mayonnaise for this recipe, you can use ‘light’ mayonnaise, however the flavour might be different.
While the potatoes are boiling and the bacon is cooking, prepare your dressing. For best results, carefully combine all of the ingredients together while still warm.
Frequently Asked Questions:
This salad can be made up to two days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It’s best enjoyed within five days of preparing.
I prefer to use baby (or new) potatoes, however you really can use any variety you prefer.
Yes you sure can! Potatoes can be boiled a day in advance and then stored in an airtight container in your fridge.
While technically you can, the mayonnaise dressing may split when defrosting. We do not recommend freezing potato salad.
Looking for more Salad Recipes?
- The BEST Creamy Pasta Salad | Just like the one from the Supermarket!
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Crunchy Noodle Salad with Toasted Almonds
- Light Pasta Salad Recipe
- Walnut, Pear and Parmesan Salad
- Roast Pumpkin Salad
- Broccoli, Bacon and Cranberry Salad</li>
The Best Potato Salad Recipe
- Large Serving Bowl
- 1.5 kg baby potatoes
- 3 spring onions – finely diced
- 4 slices short cut bacon – finely diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon seeded mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes in half and add to a pot of salted boiling water to cook.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon and spring onions into a frying pan and cook until the bacon begins to brown.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and place into a large serving bowl. Add the cooked bacon and spring onions along with the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard and salt and pepper.
- Carefully mix until all of the ingredients have combined.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place into the fridge until ready to enjoy
- I prefer to leave the skin on the potatoes when I make this recipe.
- I use whole egg mayonnaise for this recipe, you can use ‘light’ mayonnaise, however the flavour might be different.
- While the potatoes are boiling and the bacon is cooking, prepare your dressing. For best results, carefully combine all of the ingredients together while still warm.
- This salad can be made up to two days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It’s best enjoyed within four days of preparing.