You are going to love this easy Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe!
When I finally had a few glorious hours to myself last week, I decided to have a go at making this Sour Cream Coffee Cake from an old football club recipe book that I’d been eyeing off for quite awhile for my afternoon tea, after all it only makes sense to combine coffee and cake into one delicious creation!
I like my coffee cake just like my cup of coffee – rich and strong and this cake delivers! The use of sour cream in the cake helps to give it a gorgeous fudgey texture and it has just the right amount of coffee flavour. While it may seem like an overkill to make a coffee icing, this thick icing gives the cake an edge which turns it into something pretty amazing and gives you a nice coffee hit too!
If you wanted to make this cake a little fancy, you could decorate it with some toasted walnuts, I think it’s pretty amazing as it though.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 125 g of butter - softened
- 1 cup 220g of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of Di Bella Coffee Domestic Espresso
- ¾ cup 115g of plain flour
- ½ cup 75g of self raising flour
- ⅓ cup 90g of sour cream
- For the Coffee Icing
- 2 teaspoons of Di Bella Coffee Domestic Espresso
- 1 cup 150g of icing sugar
- 20 g of butter - melted
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Place the softened butter and caster sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and combine until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well in between.
- Place the coffee, vanilla extract in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of warm water. Mix until the coffee has dissolved. Add this coffee mixture and beat well to combine.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and using a large metal spoon fold through the sifted flours and sour cream.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared cake tin and gently smooth the surface before placing into the over to bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, prepare the icing by dissolving the coffee in 1 - 2 tablespoons of warm water before adding to a small bowl with the icing sugar and butter. Mix well until combined and spread over the cooled cake.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Thermomix Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into your Thermomix bowl and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4.
- Place the coffee and vanilla extract into a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of warm water and mix until the coffee granules have dissolved.
- Add eggs, vanillia and coffee mixture, flours and sour cream and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 30 seconds on speed 5.
- Spoon the sour cream coffee cake mixture into your prepared cake tin and gently smooth the surface. Place the cake into the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing as per step 8 above.