I love a meal that’s simple to prepare and it doesn’t get much easier than this family friendly Slow Cooked Beef Casserole!
I’ve been using our slow cooker quite a lot lately as I just love the convenience of having dinner ready for us after a long (and chaotic!) day. This Slow Cooked Beef Casserole is a favourite of ours and I usually serve it with some steamed rice and a buttered bread roll to soak up all of the extra sauce with – yum!
I usually use celery, carrots, onion and peas when making this recipe, however I’ve also made it with sweet potato, beans and cauliflower with great results. You can also alter the amount of gravy beef that you use, if you are feeding a crowd you can add some more, alternatively you can also make an extra big batch to pop half into the freezer for an easy meal on another day. Also if you do have any leftovers, they are just awesome to enjoy the next day when the sauce and flavour has seeped right through the rice, I may have also been known to use some leftovers as a jaffle filling – don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
If you are looking for some more family friendly dinner ideas, make sure you check out my ‘Family Dinners Made Easy’ Book – you can find out more here.
Family Friendly Slow Cooked Beef Casserole
- 600 g Gravy Beef which has been cut int large pieces.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion - chopped
- 2 celery sticks - chopped
- 1 large carrot - chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 4 bacon rashers - roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 400 g can italian diced tomatoes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 litre of beef stock
- 2 tablespoon of dried mixed herbs
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and add the diced gravy beef. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until brown on the outside before transferring to your slow cooker.
- Add the chopped bacon, onion, carrot, celery and crushed garlic to your frying pan and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until the onion begins to turn translucent. Add the plain flour and toss the ingredient to coat and cooking for a further 2 minutes before transferring all of the ingredient (plus any pan juices) to your slow cooker.
- Add the beef stock, crushed tomatoes and mix herbs and gently stir through before cooking on a slow setting for 8 hours.
- When there is around half an hour cooking time remaining, add the frozen peas and stir through.
You can find some more great family friendly slow cooker recipes in this post.