For a simple budget dinner, you can’t go past this easy Macaroni and Cheese recipe!
If I had to choose a recipe which just screams comfort food it would have to be Macaroni and Cheese. It’s a simple and delicious meal when served on it’s own or you can make it go further by serving it as a side -my family enjoys it served with chicken tenders and some steamed veggies.
In an attempt to give this recipe just a little extra nutritional content, I like to add corn kernels. However if you are looking for a healthier version, you really need to check out my veggie packed Macaroni and Cheese recipe.
I promise you that this recipe really is not that hard to make, the cheese sauce is no doubt the trickiest bit, but I’m still able to put this together while the kids try their best to distract me 😉 To make this easy Macaroni and Cheese a little more adult friendly, I used three different cheeses for my sauce. However you can certainly use just tasty cheese if you prefer. I also decided to add some cooked bacon and onion along with corn kernels to bring a little extra taste (and goodness) into the recipe. I’m also thinking about adding sun-dried tomatoes to it next time I try it.
Tips for Making this Macaroni and Cheese Recipe:
- You can mix up the cheeses used – or you can also simply use tasty cheese if you wish.
- You can omit the bacon for a vegetarian meal.
- The bacon can also be swapped for ham if you wish, there is no need to cook it.
- You can add grated vegetables to this recipe, however if you are looking for a ‘healthy’ version, I suggest trying my Macaroni and Cheese with Hidden Vegetables recipe.
- This recipe is freezer friendly.
Easy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 3 spring onions
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 400 g of dried macaroni pasta
- 50 g of butter
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of grated tasty cheese
- ½ cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of grated gouda cheese
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ cup of bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the bacon and spring onions into small pieces and cook in a frying pan over a medium heat until the bacon begins to brown. Remove from the frying pan and set aside until needed.
- Cook the macaroni as per the instructions on the packet.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- In the meantime, place the butter into a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook until melted and add the flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Gradually add the milk to the mixture and stir as you go. Bring the mixture to a boil (keep stirring) before reducing the heat and simmer for 2 minutes - continuing to stir regularly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the grated cheese and nutmeg. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Place the cooked macaroni into a baking dish, add the cooked bacon and spring onions, corn kernels and the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Carefully mix all of the ingredients together until the cheese sauce has coated all of the pasta.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and place into the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
You can shop the full range of books, eBooks and products here.