I’ve talked before about my boys love of all things carbs – if a meal contains any form of pasta or bread they are sold. As my husband is a
crazy keen cyclist, he is also a fan of carbs and regularly asks for a big pasta meal the night before a big race. This easy Carbonara Pasta with Chicken and Cashews is a favourite in our house and is based loosely on a traditional Carbonara recipe.
You really can be as creative as you like when it comes to what ingredients you add to this pasta – just make sure you stick with the correct quantities for the pasta and sauce and you will be fine! I always add chicken to ours and have also included baby spinach leaves, pine nuts, capsicum and even roasted pumpkin before.
My biggest tip when making this Carbonara recipe is to make sure your pasta is super hot when you add the egg mixture and other ingredients as this is what cooks the eggs and gives you that yummy Carbonara sauce.
Easy Carbonara Pasta with Chicken and Cashews
- 400 g of fettuccine pasta
- 5 rashers of short cut bacon
- 300 g of diced chicken breast
- 3 spring onions
- ½ cup of sundried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup of raw and unsalted cashews
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of cream
- ½ cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the bacon and sun dried tomatoes into thin strips, finely grate the parmesan cheese and thinly slice the spring onions. Separate the eggs and place yolks into a jug. Set aside until needed.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water as per the packet instructions, once cooked drain the water and keep the pasta hot.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the diced chicken, sliced bacon, spring onions, cashews and sun dried tomatoes into a frying pan and cook over a medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the bacon is crisp.
- Add the cream, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to the jug with the egg yolks and whisk together until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the cooked pasta and add the cooked chicken, bacon, onions and tomatoes before carefully tossing the pasta to ensure it’s completely coated by the egg mixture.
Does your family love their carbs too?
What’s your favourite pasta recipe?