I happy to admit that I have a slight addiction to Pinterest and regularly spend waaaaaay too much time browsing through recipes and other fun posts when I should be doing other important things e.g tackling the growing washing pile in our laundry. It’s certainly not all bad, as if it wasn’t for Pinterest I wouldn’t have come up with the idea for these Baked Potato Cakes.
These little delights are the perfect way to ‘pretty up’ your regular old mashed potatoes and I think they are special enough to even serve on their own as finger food at a party. I decided to fill my baked potato cakes with two of my favourite savoury ingredients – bacon and parmesan cheese. If you wanted to be extra tricky, you could add some grated zucchini, carrot or even corn and I don’t think the kids would be any the wiser.
Baked Potato Cakes
- 700 g of potatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 4 rashers of short cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of bread crumbs.
- Preheat your oven to 210 degrees and line a tray with baking paper.
- Peel the potatoes and cut in half before placing them into a steamer on your cooktop. Cook until the potatoes are soft.
- In the meantime, finely dice the bacon rashers and spring onion and cook in a frying pan over a medium heat until the bacon begins to brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the cooked potatoes from the heat and mash in a large bowl
- Add the cooked bacon and spring onions, butter, salt and pepper, paprika, grated parmesan cheese and milk and stir well until combined. If the mixture isn't coming together, add a little extra milk.
- Place a round cookie cutter on the baking tray and sprinkle a few breadcrumbs in it. Scoop a couple of spoonfuls of the mashed potato mixture into the cookie cutter until it's approximately 2cm high. Lightly press down on the top to flatten. Carefully remove the cookie cutter and repeat until you have used all of the mashed potato mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs over the top of the potato cakes.
- Place the baking tray into your preheated oven and bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until the potato cakes begin to turn golden brown.
I made these Baked Potato Cakes as a side to an easy Sunday night dinner of defrosted sausages and beans – yep we sure are fancy eaters in our house! This recipe made twelve Baked Potato Cakes and we ended up eating 7 of them so I have put the remaining five into a ziplock bag and into the freezer.
What kind of meals do you have for Sunday night dinner?