I’m just going to come out and say it right at the beginning, this Tim Tam Hedgehog Slice is quite possibly one of the most indulgent recipes I’ve ever made!
Hedgehog Slice is one of my favourite slice recipes simply because it reminds me of attending birthday parties when I was a kid – yep a random memory I know! While I LOVE my Hedgehog Slice recipe, as you know I can never resist trying something new and was keen to see how adding Tim Tams to the mixture would turn out.
I guess I should have realised that you really can’t go wrong when you add Tim Tams to anything, after all even if it turned out to be a big gloopy mess, it was still going to taste pretty amazing! It took so much self control to just try one small piece of this slice (for research purposes of course!) and it took even more self control to make sure all of the Tim Tams ended up in the recipe, especially since I used TWO packs – as you can see the boys didn’t have as much self control as me!
This slice is everything a special dessert or treat should be: rich, indulgent and full of chocolate. Because you can never have enough Tim Tams, I used 1 1/2 packs in the slice itself and then roughly chopped the remaining six Tim Tams to sprinkle over the top of the slice to make sure you get plenty of Tim Tams with every single bite of this slice.
When making this Tim Tam Hedgehog Slice, make sure that you use a tin which has quite high sides (mine had 8cm high sides which gave me plenty of room) as it really is a super sized slice. You also don’t need a food processor or Thermomix to make this recipe, simply crush the plain biscuits with a rolling pin and roughly chop the Tim Tams – too easy! I also made sure that I still had some large ‘chunks’ of Tim Tams when chopping up the biscuits for the inside of the slice, as I wanted to be able to bite through pieces of Tim Tams when I was eating this.
Thermomix Tim Tam Hedgehog Slice Recipe
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin with baking paper, making sure you leave plenty hanging over the edges to help you remove the slice once it’s set.
- Roughly chop SIX of the Tim Tams into large pieces and set aside.
- Place the plain biscuits into your Thermomix bowl and crush for 3 seconds on speed 4. Add the Tim Tams and crush for a further 3 seconds on speed 4 – use your spatula to roughly break up any large biscuits and pour into a separate bowl and set aside until needed.
- Pour the condensed milk into your Thermomix bowl and add the butter (cut into 3cm pieces) and cocoa. Cook for 2 minutes on 60 degrees, speed 1 or until the butter has completely melted.
- Add the biscuits and coconut to your Thermomix Bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 REVERSE or until the mixture has combined.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared slice tin and flatten the surface with the back of a metal spoon.
- Clean your Thermomix Bowl and make sure it’s completely DRY before adding the chocolate pieces. Cook for 2 minutes on 50 degrees speed 3 or until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over the top of your slice and sprinkle the crushed Tim Tam pieces over the top before placing it in the fridge for 6 hours (or preferably overnight) to set. Cut into pieces and serve.