I’ve been on the cauliflower bandwagon for awhile now, ever since I discovered the delicious goodness that is these Cauliflower, Cheese and Bacon Fritters. These Cauliflower and Cheese Nuggets were inspired in part by these fritters, but as a healthier alternative to chicken nuggets which my boys would happily consume every single day if allowed.
There is no denying that these Cauliflower and Cheese Nuggets DO taste different to regular Chicken Nuggets, however thankfully my kids are still naive enough to believe me when I tell them they are ‘special chicken nuggets’ which is kind of true anyway I guess!
We’ve made these a few times now and I’ve even been brave enough to add 100g of corn kernels to the mixture to sneak some extra veggies into the kids. I was caught out, however they still ate them albeit covered in homemade tomato sauce.
These are really simple to make either using a food processor or a thermomix (instructions for both methods below) and this is also a great recipe to make with the kids, although be warned their nuggets may look a lot different to yours! This recipe does make quite a few nuggets and you can freeze any leftovers for another day.
Thermomix Cauliflower and Cheese Nuggets Recipe
- Place the three cheeses into your Thermomix bowl (cut into cubes no more than 3cm) and blitz for 8 seconds on speed 9 to finely grate. Transfer to a new bowl and set aside until needed.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place into your thermomix bowl. Mix for 7 seconds on speed 7 or until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Add the egg, breadcrumbs, onion flakes,grated cheeses, salt and pepper to your Thermomix bowl with the cauliflower and blitz for 15 seconds on speed 5. You will need to use your spatula to carefully push down the mixture while it combines..
- Scrape down the sides and blitz for a further 15 seconds on speed 5 or until combined.
- Use a spoon to scoop up the mixture and shape it with your hands to form a ‘nugget’ shape. Place the Cauliflower and Cheese Nuggets onto your prepared baking tray and repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Give your Cauliflower and Cheese Nuggets a light spray with olive oil (optional) before placing them into your oven to bake for 10 minutes. Carefully turn them over and bake for a further 5 minutes or until golden.
Would your kids be naive enough to believe these are ‘special chicken nuggets’ too?