After talking about it for years, I’ve finally recently taken the plunge and purchased a slow cooker and can I say I really regret not buying one sooner! This slow cooker Curried Beef and Vegetables is one of the first meals I made in our cooker and thankfully it got a big thumbs up from everyone in our house.
I didn’t really follow a recipe when it came to making this (aside from following the instruction guide of my slow cooker!) and added whatever vegetables we had in the pantry and fridge. I decided to make this a curried beef just for something a little different, however you can easily omit the curry if you prefer – although this is a pretty mild version and both of our boys still enjoyed it. When making this recipe it’s also important not to cut your vegetables too small, especially the pumpkin as it may not hold it’s shape too well if it’s cut into small pieces.
This recipe easily served all four of us with leftovers for the next day and enough to pop into a container for an easy lunch or dinner on another day. You can make this recipe go quite far by adding extra vegetables or even legumes (I’m thinking chickpeas next time) and also by serving it with rice, pasta or even some freshly steamed greens on the side.
You can also make this slow cooker Curried Beef and Vegetables in a shorter timeframe by simply use a higher cooking setting however I don’t think there is anything better than the smell of a casserole bubbling away all day! I think it’s fair to say I’ve become a little addicted to slow cooking and have been making at least one to two meals each week with our slow cooker since we bought it – I’d love to hear what your favourite recipes are!
Slow Cooker Curried Beef and Vegetables
- 1 x Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kg chuck steak cut into 3cm cubes
- 150 grams carrots 2 carrots
- 150 grams brown onions 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 600 grams potatoes
- 500 grams pumpkin
- 800 grams crushed tomatoes Tinned
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup baby peas fresh or frozen
- Cut the potatoes and pumpkin into approximately 4cm chunks and thickly cut the carrots until they are approximately 2cm thick. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the olive oil over a medium/high heat in a large frying pan and add the crushed garlic, curry powder, brown onion (which has been cut into quarters) and the beef pieces and cook until the meat in batches until it is just starting to brown.
- Transfer the contents of the frying pan to your slow cooker and add the chopped potatoes, carrots and pumpkin pieces along with the two tins of crushed tomatoes and beef stock. Cook on the low setting for 7 hours.
- After approximately 7 hours cooking time, add the frozen peas and stir through. Cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes or until the peas are cooked.
- Serve this slow cooker Curried Beef and Vegetables with rice or pasta.
For more yummy dinner ideas, check out this collection of 30 family friendly recipes.
Do you have a slow cooker too? What’s your favourite recipe?