I mentioned last week that I had bought up big on all of the summer fruits which are now appearing on the shelves. Earlier this week we still had 4 passionfruit left, which were beginning to look a bit sorry for themselves. I was looking for a passionfruit slice recipe – the one I found in my Mum’s old cookbook looked a bit dodgy (sorry Debs), I think she may have missed a few steps when she was writing it down. Surprisingly I couldn’t find one in the couple of cookbooks I looked through, so I jumped onto taste.com.au and quickly found what I was after. Earlier in the afternoon I had made a chocolate mud cake which used up almost half a kilo of castor sugar (post will be up in a few days), and I had none left for this recipe – I used Stevia instead, figuring it would reduce some of the guilt involved in tasting this passionfruit.
Reading some of the reviews on the website, it was mentioned that the passionfruit layer was a bit thin. I decided to add another 1/2 can of condensed milk, I also only had one lemon, so I made up the 1/2 cup quantity with orange juice.
I know I say this a lot about the recipes I post here, but this slice was awesome and it really is an easy passionfruit slice recipe to make. As I was still in pain from doing a bodypump class the day before, I only let myself taste a bit of the corner piece that fell apart when I cut the slice…. and it was sensational! The orange and passionfruit combination was REALLY good, and the ratio of topping to base was perfect. You really need to try this!
Easy Passionfruit Slice
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 100 g butter melted
- 1 x 395g can of sweetened condensed milk - I used 1 1/2 tins for a thicker passionfruit layer
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp I used 4 small passionfruit - they were the size of golfballs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a slice tin with baking paper so that it hangs over the ends/sides
- Using a wooden spoon, combine the flour, coconut, sugar and butter in a large bowl. Use your hands to bring the dough together
- Transfer dough to slice tin and use a metal spoon to press down firmly over the base
- Bake for 12 minutes or until light golden and set aside to cool
- Reduce oven temp to 150 degrees
- Use a whisk to combine the condensed milk, lemon juice and passionfruit pulp in a bowl
- Pour and spread evenly over base
- Bake for 15 minutes or until just firm to the touch (I found this was perfect at the 15min mark)
- Set aside to cool completely and then cut into slices to serve
What’s your favourite easy slice recipe?