This Vanilla Butter Cake is my go to when making birthday cakes for my kids!
When I was growing up my Mum used to make a Butter Cake each year for our birthday and it’s a tradition I’ve continued with my own kids. This Vanilla Butter Cake is my ‘go to’ recipe when it comes to my kids birthday cakes, as it’s truly so simple to make and can easily be doubled or even halved if I need to make a bigger or smaller cake.
This cake is light and fluffy and is irresistable when eaten while still warm. However what makes the Vanilla Butter Cake really amazing, is covering it with a thick layer of buttercream icing, this just takes me straight back to my childhood.
I’ve made this Butter Cake using all types of tins and cake moulds and it turns out perfectly every single time. If you are using a tin different to the one specified in this recipe, just make sure you keep a close eye on your Vanilla Butter Cake as the cooking time will vary.
Thermomix Vanilla Butter Cake with Buttercream Icing Recipe
- Line the base and grease the sides of a 20cm round cake tin and preheat your oven to 180 degrees (fan forced)
- Place the butter and caster sugar into your Thermomix bowl and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down the sides and mix on speed 4 for a further 20 seconds until it’s pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs and 100g of the self raising flour and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4.
- Scrape down the sides and add the remaining ingredients and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 or until your mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the Buttercream
- Place the butter and icing sugar into the bowl of your Thermomix and mix for 2 minutes on speed 3.
- Scrape down the sides and mix for a further 1 minute on speed 3.
- Scrape down the sides of your Thermomix bowl and add the vanilla extract and milk before mixing for 1 minute on speed 3.
- Spread the buttercream over your cake which has been completely cooled.
You can shop the full range of print and eBooks here.