These Ham, Cheese and Zucchini Pikelets are a great savoury snack for the whole family, they are freezer friendly AND they can also be made using a Thermomix!
This recipe came about when the boys and I set out to make some savoury muffins for an afternoon snack, but when they started complaining that the muffins would take ‘hours’ to make (yep, seriously!) I decided to add our ingredients to my pikelet recipe instead. This was enough to placate them and they also were excited to be involved with scooping up the pikelet mixture and putting it into the frying pan – with help and a lot of supervision of course.
We originally made these using just a bowl and spoon, however as all three of the boys enjoyed them (our batch lasted only a day!) we’ve since made them a few more times and have also converted the recipe to make in our Thermomix as well. I’ve also made these pikelets minus the ham for a vegetarian version and I honestly don’t think the boys (or my husband!) even noticed. Regardless of how you make these savoury pikelets, they really don’t take too long at all to make, which is super important if your kids have no patience like mine!
All three of the boys like to eat these pikelets straight from the pan while they are still warm, however they are also still yummy cold which makes them perfect for school lunch boxes. You can also make a batch of these and pop them into the freezer for easy snacks whenever you need them.
You can find more Lunch Box Snack recipes (Thermomix instructions included too) for the kids here.
Ham, Cheese and Zucchini Pikelets
- 1 1/4 cup 185g self raising flour
- 1/2 cup 75g grated tasty cheese
- 200 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 60 g melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 small tomato - chopped into small pieces.
- 1 zucchini - grated
- 80 g shaved ham
- extra butter for greasing the pan.
- Sift the self raising flour into a large bowl and add the grated cheese before stirring to combine.
- Add the milk, egg, cooled melted butter and a pinch of salt and pepper to a large measuring jug and whisk together until combined.
- Add the grated zucchini, sliced ham, chopped tomato and the liquid ingredients to the bowl with the flour and grated cheese and gently stir until just combined.
- Heat your frying pan over a medium heat and add a little butter. Use a tablespoon to scoop up the pikelet mixture and place six of them (or however many will fit into your frying pan)into your pre-heated frying pan. Cook the pikelets for 2 minutes before carefully flipping them over and cook for a further one minute on the other side.
- Transfer the cooked pikelets to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat until you have used all of the mixture.
The number of pikelets you get from the recipe may vary depending on the size of your pikelets.
Thermomix Ham, Cheese and Zucchini Pikelet Recipe
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and set aside until needed.
- Place the cheese into your Thermomix bowl and grate for 10 seconds on speed 9. Transfer to another bowl until needed.
- Without washing the bowl, add the zucchini (which has been cut into 4 cm pieces) and blitz for 5 sec, speed 6
- Place the butter into your thermomix bowl (yes, with the grated zucchini!) and cook for 2 minutes, 60 degrees, speed 2 or until melted.
- Add the self raising flour, a pinch of salt and pepper, milk, egg, ham, grated cheese and tomatoes to your Thermomix bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5 to combine.
- Heat your frying pan over a medium heat and all a little bit of butter. Place six tablespoons of the pikelet mixture (or however many will fit into your frying pan) and cook for approximately 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear on the surface.
- Carefully flip over the picket and cook for a further 1 minute on the other side before transferring to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Continue until you have used all of the pikelet mixture.
- You can serve these warm or cold.