This easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is one of our new family favourites and it’s super simple to make both conventionally and in a Thermomix!
Chicken Tortilla Soup has been one of those recipes I discovered on Pinterest YEARS ago and have been meaning to make ever since. Recently when we had a cold snap in Brisbane (the temperature dropped below 25 degrees!) I decided it was soup weather and was a bit excited to discover I had all of the ingredients I needed (well to make my version anyway!) to make this easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
I added some finely diced celery and zucchini to my Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe to help boost the veggie content. I also used 1/2 a teaspoon of medium Mexican Chilli powder to give it a little heat and while both of my boys enjoyed it, if your kids aren’t fans of anything too spicy you can simply reduce the chilli powder to 1/4 teaspoon or use a mild chilli powder instead.
When it comes to making this recipe, don’t be put off by the list of ingredients and steps, as it truly is simple to make – I now make a batch in the morning while the kids are all having breakfast ready for dinner that night! Both of the boys were VERY excited while watching me break up a couple of tortilla chips to top their bowls of soup with and the chips quickly disappeared when I set their bowls down at the table! This is a great meal to enjoy on these cooler nights and you can also make it a day in advance and simply reheat when you need.
Thermomix Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Place the cheddar cheese into your Thermomix Bowl and blitz for 8 seconds on speed 8 to grate. Set aside until needed.
- Without washing the bowl add the chicken which has been cut into cubes and 800g of water. Cook for 12 minutes on Varoma, speed 2 with the measuring cup in place or until the chicken has cooked.
- Drain and save the cooking water and place into a jug for use later.
- Blitz the chicken for 4 seconds on speed 4. Transfer to a new bowl and set aside until needed.
- In a clean and dry Thermomix bowl add the garlic clove, onion and celery (which has been cut into 3cm pieces) and blitz for 4 seconds on speed 6.
- Add the olive oil and cook for 3 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 2.
- Add the reserved cooking water, mexican chilli powder, mixed herbs, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and corn flour and cook for 12 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 2.
- Add the reserved shredded chicken and corn kernels and cook for a further 5 minutes, 100 degrees speed 2, reverse.
- Pour the soup into 4 bowls to serve and top with the grated cheddar cheese previously set aside, corn chips and avocado pieces.