I’ve been making my Mum’s Orange Cake recipe for years, so it only seemed practical to convert it for my Thermomix! This Thermomix Orange Cake is really easy to make, is incredibly light and fluffy and is also freezer friendly – even when iced!
This recipe is very similar to a butter cake just with some orange zest and fresh orange juice added. You can also make a simple orange icing to decorate it with or stick to a plain icing decorated with a little coconut if you prefer.
I love making this Orange Cake as it reminds me of my Mum and as an added bonus, everyone in our house loves it too. If there are any leftovers, I will slice the cake into individual pieces, wrap and store in the freezer for an easy morning or afternoon snack for us or when guests pop over.
I usually cook this Orange Cake in a large loaf tin, however you can also use a small ring tin or round tin if you prefer, just remember your cooking times will vary. There is no need to worry if you don’t own a Thermomix, you can find the conventional instructions on how to make this easy Orange Cake here.
Thermomix Orange Cake Recipe
- 125 g of butter - softened
- 150 g of caster sugar
- Grated rind of 1 large orange
- 2 eggs
- 225 g of self raising flour
- 55 g of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- To make the Orange Icing
- 45 g of butter
- Grated rind of 1/2 an orange
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 1/3 cups of soft icing sugar
- Line the base and grease the sides of a large loaf tin and preheat your oven to 180 degrees (fan forced)
- Place the butter, caster sugar and orange rind into your Thermomix bowl and mix for 30 seconds on speed 5 until it's pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs 2 seconds on speed 5 to combine.
- Add the remainder of your ingredients and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 or until your mixture is smooth and well combined. Mix for a further 5 - 10 seconds on speed 4 if necessary.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and place in the oven to bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the cake is cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, prepare the orange icing by sifting 1 1/3 cups of icing sugar into a bowl and adding 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the grated rind of half an orange. Mix the ingredient together until they are smooth.
- Use a spatula or a butter knife to then spread the icing over the cake.
What’s your favourite freezer friendly cake? Feel free to share the recipe!