I promise you this easy Ice-Cream Cake recipe will quickly become a family favourite!
I can’t take all of the credit (ok, any of the credit actually!) for this recipe, as it was my husband who came up with this idea and made this ice-cream cake a little while ago. I swear he is a food blogger in the making, I often receive random emails or text messages from him throughout the day with recipe ideas and advice on things I should be doing with the site. I have to admit he does have some great ideas, if only there was enough time to work through them all!
To say he was chuffed with how this ice-cream cake turned out is the understatement of the year, and he has been pestering me for weeks now to share this recipe so he can see his work on the internet! It wasn’t only my husband who was excited to try this cake, it took a lot of work to keep both the boys away from it while I was trying to take photos for this post!
I have to admit I think he has come up with something pretty special (and ridiculously easy!) and he was especially proud of the fact it cost him just $12 to buy all of the ingredients, thanks to using no name brands.
You could certainly have fun coming up with different variations of this cake, I’m thinking a chocolate version using chocolate ice-cream sandwiches, chocolate ripple biscuits and chocolate Tim Tams AND Maltesers will the the next version coming out of our kitchen!
Easy Ice-Cream Cake Recipe
Easy Ice-Cream Cake Recipe
- 1 x 2 litre container of neapolitan ice-cream
- 12 pre-made vanilla ice cream sandwiches
- 200 g of marie biscuits or similar
- 90 g of butter
- 1 pack of white chocolate tim tams
- silver cachous to decorate - optional
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm round springform tin with baking paper.
- Roughly chop the white chocolate Tim Tams and set aside until needed.
- Remove the ice-cream from the freezer and allow it to soften until it's soft enough to work with, just don't let it melt!
- In the meantime, cut the butter into small cubes and place in a microwave safe bowl. Cook for 30 second spurts until it has just melted.
- Crush the biscuits until they resemble fine crumbs and place them into a large bowl. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Pour the biscuit mixture over the bottom of your prepared tin and push down with the back of a spoon to flatten.
- Remove the ice-cream sandwiches from their wrappers and place them around the edge of your tin to form a continuous circle - you may find you need to trim your last one to fit depending on the width of the ice-cream sandwiches - the size will vary between brands.
- Scoop out the chocolate ice-cream from the tub (putting the container back into the freezer) and spoon it on top of the biscuit base in your tin. Smooth the chocolate ice-cream layer with the back of a spoon and pop the tin back into the freezer for around 30 minutes or until the ice-cream is firm.
- Remove the ice-cream container and again allow it to soften (not melt) before removing the vanilla layer and placing it on top of the chocolate layer. Smooth to flatten the surface and place back into the freezer to firm.
- Repeat the above process to add the final strawberry layer to your ice-cream cake before sprinkling the white chocolate tim tam pieces on top.
- Cover your easy ice-cream cake with cling wrap and pop it back in the freezer overnight to completely set.
- Remove from the freezer when ready to serve
I made this today in no time at all for my daughter’s 8th birthday! The whole family enjoyed it. I added Maltesers on the top for an extra special treat!!
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Hi Sue, thanks so much for letting me know! I’m so happy it turned out well for you xx I hope your daughter had a fabulous birthday 🙂
Just been making it tonight. If you use Coles ice cream sandwiches you need to cut in half and only need 6. Also the last layer should say strawberry, vanilla layer has been written twice.
Thanks Sarah, I’ll fix that up now. I hope you enjoy 🙂
Is it a square or round tin?
Hi Sarah, We used a round tin 🙂
In the recipe you said square
Your husband must be 1 of a kind can’t wait for his next recipe
Lucy @ Bake Play Smile
This is awesome!!! So clever!