Easy Gingerbread Recipe
This is the BEST easy Gingerbread recipe you will ever make and it's so good you will want to make it all year round and not just as Christmas - I promise!! Thermomix instructions are also included.
Servings: 24 Biscuits
2 x baking trays
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar 55 grams
- 1 & ½ tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125 grams butter - chopped into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 & ¼ cups plain flour 335 grams
In a small heatproof bowl, combine the golden syrup, sugar and spices and place over a saucepan of boiling water. When the sugar has dissolved, stir through the bicarb soda and remove from the heat when the mixture begins to bubble.
Transfer to a large bowl and stir through the chopped butter.
Add the egg and 1 cup of sifted flour and stir with a knife to combine. Add the remaining flour and continue to mix with a butter knife until a dough forms.
Turn the dough onto a floured bench and lightly knead until it’s smooth and soft. Divide into two halves and cover with cling wrap before popping into the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and line two trays with baking paper.
Remove dough from the fridge and roll each portion between two sheets of baking paper until approximately 5mm thick. Use cutters of your choice to cut out shapes and place on baking trays. Bake for approximately 9 - 11 minutes - please note baking times will vary depending on the size of the cutter used.
Allow the gingerbread to completely cool before decorating if you wish or transfer to an airtight container.
Place the golden syrup, sugar, butter and spices into your Thermomix bowl and cook for 5 minutes at 50 degrees on speed 2.
Add the egg and mix for 3 seconds on speed 3.
Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5 or until combined.
Knead for 2 minutes before turning the dough out onto your Thermomat and lightly knead to form a ball.
Flatten the dough into a disc, cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes
Roll the Gingerbread dough between two sheets of baking paper until approximately 5mm thick. Use cutters of your choice to cut out shapes and place on baking trays. Bake for approximately 9 - 11 minutes - please note baking times will vary depending on the size of the cutter used.
Allow the gingerbread to cool and decorate as desired.
- You can make this dough a couple of days in advance. Store the dough in the fridge and then let it sit at room temperature until it's reached a consistency that allows it to be rolled our.
- Both the dough and the cooked biscuits are freezer friendly.
- You can also use other shape/different sized cookie cutters for this recipe, please note the cooking time will vary.
- If making small Gingerbread pieces, I suggest checking after 5 minutes of cooking time.
- To help give the top of the Gingerbread a nice flat finish, I place a sheet of baking paper between the dough and rolling pin.
- I also find using a metal egg flip the easiest way to easily transfer the Gingerbread from the bench to baking tray.
- Once cooked these biscuits are best stored in an airtight container in a dark, cool place (eg pantry) for up to two weeks.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg