Magic Custard Cake
This Vanilla Magic Custard Cake really is magic! During baking, the batter splits into a base, delicious custard layer and cake top - yum! It's a great dessert for your next event, or why not make just because!
Servings: 12 Slices
- 4 eggs - room temperature
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- 125 grams of melted butter ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of plain flour - sifted
- 2 cups of milk - lukewarm 500 mls
- ¼ cup of icing sugar to decorate
Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper, making sure to leave plenty of paper hanging over the sides.
Separate your eggs and place the egg whites into a CLEAN and DRY bowl - this is very important and beat using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set the egg whites aside until needed.
Place the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until they have combined and are light and frothy.
With the electric mixer still going on a low speed, gradually add the melted butter and vanilla extract before adding the sifted flour a few spoonfuls at a time.
Gradually add the lukewarm milk and continue to beat on a low- medium speed to combine all of the ingredients.
Add the egg whites to the bowl and gently fold together the mixture.
Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin and place into your preheated oven and cook for 35 minutes or until a golden crust has formed on top of your cake.
- Your baking time WILL vary depending on the temperature of your ingredients. Some people may find they need to cook their cakes for up to an hour.
- I cook this cake in a 20cm square baking tin, you can use a different size tin but the cooking time will vary.
- The mixture will look lumpy and you may be convinced that it won't work out - keep going as the end result is worth it!
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg