Nan's Chocolate Cake - Back to Basics
This moist and light Chocolate Cake is made using seven basic ingredients and will be ready to enjoy in less than one hour. This cake is versatile and can be doubled, halved or even made into cupcakes. You can also freeze this cake when it is both iced and un-iced.
Servings: 12 people
- 90 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 & ¼ cups self raising flour
- ½ cup of milk
Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius (fan forced) and line the base of a loaf tin.
Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool slightly.
Sift flour and cocoa into the bowl of an electric mixer, then add all the other ingredients.
Beat for approximately 2 -3 minutes until ingredients have all combined and the mixture is smooth.
Pour into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- I like to make this simple Chocolate Cake using a slice tin as it goes further and cuts into smaller size pieces which is great for the kids.
- This cake can be baked in a variety of cake tins, please note the cooking time will vary if using a tin other than the one specified in the method below.
- You can freeze this cake either iced or un-iced for up to three months.
- You can also make this recipe as muffins, find the cooking instructions here.
- The BEST way to enjoy this cake however, is by cutting off a big end piece (the best slice!) while it’s still warm and alongside a glass of milk – yum!
- You can find the Thermomix instructions for this recipe here.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 60mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 69IU | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg