Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
This Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta is a great family friendly meal and can be made using just one pot. It's perfect for those weeknight dinners and it can also be made ahead and frozen until needed.
Servings: 4 serves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion grated
- 500 grams chicken breast cubed
- 4 rashers bacon shortcut
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ¼ cup pesto
- ⅓ cup milk
- 300 grams pasta fettuccine or spiral pasta
- 50 grams parmesan cheese finely grated
Slice your chicken breast and bacon into pieces and set aside until needed.
In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and warm over a medium/high heat and add the onion and the garlic along with the chicken and bacon pieces and cook for 4 - 5 minutes or until the chicken begins to brown and the onion is translucent.
Add the vegetable stock and pasta and stir through to combine. Bring the mixture to the boil before reducing to a medium heat and placing the lid onto the saucepan. Let the pasta cook for 8 - 10 minutes or until cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Reduce the heat to low and add the milk, pesto and parmesan cheese. Stir these ingredients through the pasta before replacing the lid and allowing to cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes before serving.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the chicken and bacon.
- You can use either chicken breast or thigh.
- I recommend using full cream milk, you can use cream if you prefer.
- Any leftovers are best enjoyed within two days, alternatively you can freeze for up to two months.
- Feeding a crowd? You can double the recipe. Please ensure you are using a pot larger enough to accomodate your ingredients.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 896mg | Potassium: 795mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 807IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 221mg | Iron: 2mg