This Vegetarian Quesadilla with Pesto and Avocado will become your new go to lunch – and dinner recipe!
While I’m not a vegetarian, I regularly find myself choosing vegetarian meals whenever we are out and I also love to cook them for the family. In most cases the boys and my husband don’t even seem to notice that there is no meat in these meals and many of them, including these Vegetarian Quesadillas with Pesto and Avocado have become family favourites.
These Vegetarian Quesadillas are a filling lunch for all of us and our eldest also likes to have one (I usually just give him half) in his lunchbox at school. They are a good way to use up any veggies you may have left over and this recipe can easily be adapted to suit the likes (and dislikes!) of your family.
I like to make up a few of these quesadillas at a time and find they keep well for a day or two and are also really yummy to eat cold. Because we all LOVE cheese, I use both tasty and mozzarella cheese in this recipe, however you can easily leave the mozzarella out if you prefer – I won’t judge you!
Vegetarian Quesadilla with Pesto and Avocado
- 2 wholemeal tortillas
- 2 tablespoons of basil pesto: 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 red capsicum - diced
- 1/4 green capsicum - diced
- 1/4 cup of five bean mix
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 button mushrooms - finely diced.
- 1/4 red onion - finely diced
- 1/4 cup of grated tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated mozzarella
- olive oil to grease pan
- Add the olive oil into a frying pan and heat over a medium/high heat.
- Cover one of your tortillas with the basil pesto.
- Sprinkle the red and green capsciucm, five bean mix, button mushrooms and red onion over the top of the pesto. Sprinkle with the cheeses and carefully transfer to your frying pan.
- Spread the avocado over one side of the second tortilla and place it on top of the tortilla already in the pan - avocado side down.
- Cook for for 3 minutes or until the tortilla begins to brown.
- Carefully flip over and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tortilla has browned.
- Cut the quesadilla into triangles and serve immediately.
This Vegetarian Quesadilla can also be made a day in advance and is great in lunch boxes too.
What’s your favourite quesadilla filling?