Even though I love to bake, I don’t seem to make a lot of sponges. We had a heap of strawberries in the fridge and some cream, so I thought I’d give the McAlpins Sponge Sandwich a try. The tins I used were a bigger than those suggested, so my sponges were a bit thin. I was happy with how they turned out. The colour was good and they had both risen evenly. I cooked them on the same rack in the oven, which I’m not sure if you are supposed to do?To compensate for their height, I just put a thick layer of cream and strawberries in the middle which improved the overall appearance of the cake.
I didn’t get to try a piece, Scott took it to work the next day. He said it went down well, but suggested adding a layer of strawberry jam to the cream and strawberry layer.. He is my biggest critic & always seems to have a suggestion on how I can improve!
Please click here for metric conversation table
McAlpins Sponge Sandwich
Throwback Thursday - McAlpin's Sponge Sandwich
- 4 oz and 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 oz sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of hot milk or water I used hot milk
- 600 ml of thickened cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 250 g strawberries
- Sift flour and salt
- Separate whites and yolks of eggs
- Place whites in a warm dry basin with a pinch of salt and beat until very stiff, then beat yolks in lightly (low mixer speed)
- Add sugar and beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is quite thick
- Sift flour onto mixture and fold lightly through with a knife or a tablespoon
- Fold in 2 tablespoons of hot milk or water
- Divide mixture evenly between two 7 - 71/2 inch greased sandwich tins.
- Bake in a very moderate oven for 15 - 18 minutes (I baked for 15 minutes in a 180 degree fan forced oven).
- When cooked, turn cake onto a care wire covered with a cloth
- Whip cream, vanilla essence and icing sugar together
- Cut strawberries into thin slices
- Once cake has cooled, spread cream on top of one cake, and cover with half the strawberries
- Spread remaining cream and strawberries on top of cake - serve