While there may be many people planning big celebrations for Valentine’s Day this weekend, it’s quite likely to be a non event in our house. Don’t get me wrong, after 13 years together there still is more than a hint of romance in the air, however it’s been a very long time since we celebrated this special day with gifts, cards or flowers – not that I wouldn’t like some!
Instead we will most likely spend the day at home together with our boys, and if they are lucky I may just make another batch of these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Tim Tams for a special treat.
These Red Velvet Cupcakes are so easy to make, and you can be ready to put a batch in the oven baking in no time at all. For me there is only one icing that belongs on these cupcakes and that is cream cheese frosting – who agrees?
Learn how to make these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Tim Tams here:
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Tim Tams and Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 ⅓ cups of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 ½ cups of caster sugar
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons of red food colouring
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- For the cream cheese frosting you will need:
- 250 g of cream cheese - softened
- 100 g of butter - softened
- 1 ¼ cups of pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 6 Tim Tams or similar to decorate.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the plain flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Stir through the caster sugar and make a well in the centre.
- In a large jug, add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, red food colouring and vinegar - stirring with a small whisk or fork until combined.
- Pour the liquid into the well, and use a large metal spoon to combine the mixture - be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared paper cases and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins have cooked through.
- Remove the cooked muffins from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the cream cheese frosting.
- Place the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a large bowl before sifting the icing sugar over the top. Using electric beaters, start mixing the ingredients together on a low speed before increasing to a medium/high speed. Continue to mix until all the ingredients have combined.
- Place the TimTams onto a cutting board and chop into large pieces.
- Spread the cream cheese icing over the top of the cupcakes using either a spatula or a piping bag before decorating with the TimTam pieces.
What plans do you have for Valentine’s Day?