While there may be many people planning big celebrations for Valentine’s Day this weekend, it’s quite likely to be a non event in our house. Don’t get me wrong, after 13 years together there still is more than a hint of romance in the air, however it’s been a very long time since we celebrated this special day with gifts, cards or flowers – not that I wouldn’t like some!
Instead we will most likely spend the day at home together with our boys, and if they are lucky I may just make another batch of these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Tim Tams for a special treat.
These Red Velvet Cupcakes are so easy to make, and you can be ready to put a batch in the oven baking in no time at all. For me there is only one icing that belongs on these cupcakes and that is cream cheese frosting – who agrees?
Learn how to make these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and Tim Tams here:
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Tim Tams and Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 ⅓ cups of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 ½ cups of caster sugar
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons of red food colouring
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- For the cream cheese frosting you will need:
- 250 g of cream cheese - softened
- 100 g of butter - softened
- 1 ¼ cups of pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 6 Tim Tams or similar to decorate.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the plain flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Stir through the caster sugar and make a well in the centre.
- In a large jug, add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, red food colouring and vinegar - stirring with a small whisk or fork until combined.
- Pour the liquid into the well, and use a large metal spoon to combine the mixture - be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared paper cases and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins have cooked through.
- Remove the cooked muffins from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the cream cheese frosting.
- Place the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a large bowl before sifting the icing sugar over the top. Using electric beaters, start mixing the ingredients together on a low speed before increasing to a medium/high speed. Continue to mix until all the ingredients have combined.
- Place the TimTams onto a cutting board and chop into large pieces.
- Spread the cream cheese icing over the top of the cupcakes using either a spatula or a piping bag before decorating with the TimTam pieces.
What plans do you have for Valentine’s Day?
Nicole- Champagne and Chips
I’ve never thought to use Tim Tams as a cake topper but they are so cute.
Thanks Nicole, I don’t think there is anything Tim Tams can’t improve?!
Jess - A Little Part of the World
Oh yum!! These are making my mouth water!! SO delicious!! Jx
Thanks Jess, they did taste pretty amazing 🙂
Bec @ The Plumbette
I love red velvet cupcakes. I love these ones more with the tim tam crumble on top!
Tim Tams make everything better Bec!
The last (and only) time I made red velvet cupcakes is when my daughter choose the box mix on a whim to take to school. The icing that came with it was horrible, they were a disaster and I sent them anyway and felt horrible about it and avoided eye contact with anyone for a week. Since then I haven’t been able to bring myself to make them. Perhaps your recipe should be my foray back into the world of red velvet.
Oh dear, that does sound pretty traumatic. You should definitely give them another try x
Dannielle @ Zamamabakes
Lauren these little treasures look divine!
Hope a pretty bunch of flowers comes your way lovely lady. It will be a family of 5 valentines celebration here too. Xx
Thanks Dannielle, I hope you all have a lovely day too x
Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid
Love at first sight, and with the addition of Tim Tams, red velvet cake and cream cheese icing, I’m sure these babies are love at first bite too! Swoon!
haha, love it!
Mandy Barbie Bieber and Beyond
You had me at Tim Tams!!
Yep, they get me every time too!