Recently when fighting to make space in our freezer, I came across a few sheets of puff pastry which thanks to not being covered properly, were rapidly approaching their use by date. As we had family staying with us at the time (including 4 kids aged 3 and under!!) I decided to try and make an easy dessert for us all. I’ve come across Nutella Croissants before, but decided to use a couple of the never ending supply of bananas we seem to always have and create Nutella and Banana Croissants instead.
You only need just four ingredients to make these Nutella and Banana Croissants (winning!) and within half an hour we were all enjoying hot and crispy croissants from the oven. I was a little worried that the pastry may have been a little too dry around the edges, but once cooked you couldn’t tell. A couple of the kids twigged there was fruit in their dessert and picked the banana pieces out – as you do! However for the rest of us who tried these, we were all pleased with how they turned out and loved eating them while they were still warm with some vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel topping – yum!
Nutella and Banana Croissants
- 3 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 1 cup of Nutella
- 2 large banana
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and cover two baking trays with baking paper.
- Lightly whisk the egg and set aside until needed.
- Slice the bananas into thin pieces.
- Place one piece of puff pastry which has slightly thawed on the kitchen bench. Cut in half lengthways and then cut each half diagonally, so that you end up with four rectangles per sheet of pastry. Continue to cut each sheet of pastry until you have 12 rectangles.
- Brush the two long edges with the beaten egg, and place a teaspoon of Nutella in the middle of the base of the triangle.
- Place 2 - 3 slices of banana on top of the nutella.
- Beginning at the with the Nutella and Banana, roll the pastry up and gently bend the centre of the rolled pastry to give it a curved ‘croissant’ shape.
- Continue until all rectangles have been rolled and bent, then place on a baking tray and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden.
These delicious little parcels are great on their own or enjoy served warm with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream.
What is your favourite quick dessert?