Morning Tea and Cake are an irresistible combination and go together like jam and cream and vegemite and cheese. Whenever we have guests over, or are heading out somewhere, I always like to bake something a little bit special to enjoy.
Recently we had a play date at a friends house and I was looking for something a little different to take. I can’t resist anything which is full of lemony goodness, so decided to make use of the lemons sitting in the fruit bowl and bake our favourite (and super easy) lemon cake recipe. To mix it up a little, we replaced the coconut with chia seeds and made a passionfruit icing to drizzle across the top to create this Lemon and Chia Cake with Passionfruit Icing.
This is a great recipe to make with kids, and both the boys had a load of fun mixing (and eating) the batter before it finally went into the oven.
There is something about the smell of a fresh lemon cake (or any kind of cake to be honest!) that is irresistible – and this cake was no exception. It was incredibly soft and moist and the addition of Chia seeds with the passionfruit icing turned a simple cake into something really special.
Lemon and Chia Cake with Passionfruit Icing
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 200 g of light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 3/4 cups castor sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/3 cup of chia seeds
- Passionfruit Icing
- 1/3 cup of passionfruit pulp
- 1 1/2 cups of sifted icing sugar
- 50 g of softened butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt (sour cream & milk) and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift over the flour and add the coconut and stir until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a greased 24cm fluted ring tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer
- While the cake is still hot, remove from the tin and place on plate
- To make the passionfruit icing, strain the passionfruit pulp and put back half the seeds.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, and add the butter and passionfruit pulp and mix until combined.
- Use a spatula to carefully ice the top of the cake.