Today on the blog I have the talented, fabulous and incredibly lovely Amanda from Cooker and a Looker sharing a delicious recipe for Lemon Cheese Spread. Cooker and a Looker is all about home cooking (make sure you check out Amanda’s Cheesy Chicken Pasta Bake and her epic Australia Day Pavlova) and stories about raising her two gorgeous girls on their farm on the beautiful Sunshine Coast.
Now it’s over to Amanda!
Lemon Cheese Spread (and what to do when life gives you lemons)
The internet is full of unsolicited advice. Some of it is well researched, some of it is well intended and some of it is, well, neither.
So if you’ve arrived at Lauren’s lovely blog because Life has given you lemons and you’re unsure what to do next, here are some potential courses of action.
- Demand to see Life’s manager. Declare your free lemon outrage loudly for Life’s other customers to hear. Declare you will not leave until you receive a refund for said free lemons.
- Freeze them and return them to Life using a medieval catapult.
- Make a gin and tonic. Because unless Life also handed you sugar and water, your lemonade is going to suck.
- Make orange juice from the lemons and then sit back and enjoy watching Life’s utter confusion.
- Stick the lemons down your shirt to make your boobs look bigger.
- Keep them because, hey free lemons! Make lemon cheese spread and eat it from the jar with a spoon while contemplating your next move.
Lemon Cheese Spread
- 4 eggs
- 75 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- rind and juice of two lemons
- Combine the butter, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice and beaten eggs. Heat over a double boiler on a low heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- When the spread is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and store in sterilised jars. Makes about two cups.
This lemon cheese spread will keep for several weeks in the fridge, but mine never lasts that long! It’s delicious on toast, as fillings for sponges and tarts or, you know, eaten out of the jar with a spoon!