This week I’m handing over to Lucy from Bake Play Smile to share her yummy and easy Ham Potato and Leek Soup recipe – enjoy!
Even though it’s the start of Spring, we all know that quite a few parts of the country take a while warm up. So here’s my yummy Ham, Potato and Leek soup recipe to get you through the last of the colder weather… and also because soup is just a perfectly yummy, healthy and vegie-packed meal at anytime of the year!
The other weekend Mum came around to my house armed with all of the ingredients to make Ham, Potato & Leek Soup. It was a cold wintery Saturday so it was perfect soup making weather! I’ve made potato & leek soup as well as pea & ham soup before, but I’ve never thought to put a ham hock into my potato & leek soup.
Mum had seen this soup being made on Better Homes and Gardens the night before and had the magazine on hand… so off we went. I was a little sceptical at first because I usually prefer clear soups or chunky vegetable ones over the creamy versions, but this one really surprised me. It was creamy but not over the top! Usually I get a little happy with the salt (on pretty much everything!!), but we didn’t add any into this recipe and it really didn’t need it – the ham hock was salty enough.
Once you’ve cut up all the veggies, popped the ham hock into the pot and got it all simmering, you can sit back and relax with a cuppa and wait for your delish Ham Potato and Leek soup to be ready. Oh and this is a great soup to pop in the freezer for all of those nights when you’re running around like crazy and are way too busy to cook… or even for just when a case of total and utter laziness kicks in (yep we all have those nights, right!!!). xxx
Tips for making this easy Ham Potato and Leek Soup:
- This soup is freezer friendly.
- I suggest not adding any salt until you’ve tasted the cooked soup as the ham hock will provide a lot of salt.
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4 days.
Ham, Potato and Leek Soup
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks white part only, thinly sliced
- 500 g potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 bouquet garni we used a handful of fresh rosemary and parsley chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 ham hock
- 300 ml light thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to season go easy on the salt as the ham hock is quite salty.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the leek and cook until softened (this will take about 10 mins).
- Add the potato, sweet potato, herbs and stock and stir until well combined.
- Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling add in the ham hock.
- Reduce the heat to low, partly cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour or until the hock is tender.
- Take the pot off the heat, remove the ham hock and place on a plate or chopping board to cool.
- Remove the skin and any fatty bits.
- Cut off the meat and shred or chop into small chunks.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth and no chunks remain.
- Place half of the chopped meat into the soup.
- Place saucepan or pot back over the stove over medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and mix to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper (taste the soup first as it may not need any salt).
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the remaining meat and chopped herbs of your choosing.